Thread: The 7 Reasons Why Gibson is Suing Dean Guitars

The 7 Reasons Why Gibson is Suing Dean Guitars

No comment from me yet, but maybe later...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Pretty darn similar bodies to be sure...

I can understand the new guy driving the bus at Gibson wanting to stir the pot as a way to show people he's different than Henry by doing something proactive. To me, if there's something that's worth making a fuss about, it's the faker Chibsons made in China that represent a real theft of intellectual property and are true counterfeits by stealing the Gibson name. However, it seems pointless to me for Gibson to chase everyone in the industry because they're building a single-cut archtop solidbody that bears some resemblance to a Les Paul. This battle was fought decades ago when the Japanese lawsuit guitars were happening, and it makes little sense to do it all over again.

Gibson needs to get it's head out of it's ass and concentrate their energies on building a high-quality guitar that's still priced within the reach of the average player. The new guy at the helm should be acknowledging that Gibson lost a lot of customers due to their flawed marketing over the last couple of decades and now they need to be making friends instead of quibbling about their legitimate competitors products.
    Last edited by spellcaster; 06-27-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Well since it's been so long since the Flying V & Explorer came out--can they really sue now?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I read an interesting comment in a parallel thread on another forum. It makes an interesting point: If Gibson is making a fuss about plagiarized body shapes, what is the reasoning behind Gibson's "Hendrix Strat"?

I read an interesting comment in a parallel thread on another forum. It makes an interesting point: If Gibson is making a fuss about plagiarized body shapes, what is the reasoning behind Gibson's "Hendrix Strat"?

.....or Gibson's Malmsteen Strat.......

.......or Epiphone's Stratocaster...........

.....There are others to.....

The point is that Gibson's kind of the pot calling the kettle black.......

Except gibson didn't make the Hendrix Stat thing--they were simply going to distribute it.
    So there is some difference.
    As for Epiphone--well at one point Gibson simply did what most other companies did--have a different brand name for cheaper copy guitars.
    Epiphone was that at one point (& still is to some degree)
    And Gibson didn't market an Yngwie Strat--they tried to get Yngwie on their side--and it didn't work--even with a Strat like guitar they made (Not the one int he picture above, that's a photo shopped logo)

Still Gibson's claims are a bit over the top
    I already mentioned a couple of examples.
    Mainly Gibson & Fender waited too long on this.
    And some of the claims are odd.

The shape of this whole Gibson situation has changed. Now, Gibson is apparently going to license seven guitar builders to produce guitars using the Gibson body configurations. This just gets weirder and weirder.