Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You GAS'ing For Lately?

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Hmm, what aren't I GASsing for?

that might be the shorter answer.

But to be realistic?
    A Godin Progression
    a semi hollow with a trapeze tailpiece
    I saw a vid of the Progression. Nice guitar. As Straty as it's wants to be. I'm gassin for one of their Icon 2's also. P-Rail Duncans are pretty unique imo.
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

Quote Originally Posted by randoo11 View Post
    I saw a vid of the Progression. Nice guitar. As Straty as it's wants to be. I'm gassin for one of their Icon 2's also. P-Rail Duncans are pretty unique imo.
    I've compared Strats to the Progression, and I've found the Progressions have nicer necks, and play as well or better than the Strats--and they're about half the price of an MIA Strat around here. And they're made in Canada & the US, and I think I like them better.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    iaitb, I hate to sound the snob again but those Indonesian, Chinese, Vietnamese built guitars are pretty generic and the prices are always good but you're getting what you pay for and it won't be long before the honeymoon is over and your out looking for a new one. The Rockbass I bought last year has lost it's magic and I'm ready to move up and away from the low grade Asian built guitars. There are some great Asian built guitars but you're gonna spend over $500. I'm done with the junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    yep- exactly my concern with the gigging guitar I am trying to decide on
    I am thinking about that too.. but I can never afford a Gibson, or even a Heritage... I can only afford an Epiphone.. Thats the closest thing I could get to the real thing... and also there's the lowest end model of Gretsch.. the G5120, but anything higher than that, I can never afford it..

never say never- you are still a young guy... Believe me 15 years ago I would have balked at prices too. Some of the Epiphones have pretty good reputations- a friend of mine has the € Swingster- it looks nice but I don't like the sound at all but that is just my opinion. He loves the thing though. Guys on this forum have the dots too and seem to like 'em. I'm tough to please though because I demand simplicity and single coils- neither one is easy to find in a full hollowbody.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    never say never- you are still a young guy... Believe me 15 years ago I would have balked at prices too. Some of the Epiphones have pretty good reputations- a friend of mine has the € Swingster- it looks nice but I don't like the sound at all but that is just my opinion. He loves the thing though. Guys on this forum have the dots too and seem to like 'em. I'm tough to please though because I demand simplicity and single coils- neither one is easy to find in a full hollowbody.
    I agree to that... maybe I should wait a little longer and not settle for less.. I've done that with my tele, waiting and saving to get what I wanted.. i could have waited and saved more for an american, but I just cant justify it.. but the problem is, if I don't find one soon enough, I will end up with a Squier CVC instead! LOL

We all have ceilings on what we will spend on gear. I feel very strongly about the $3000 point for a guitar- that is kind of the point where I stop caring how nice the thing is, I simply don't ever want to spend that much on an instrument. People have different thresholds for that limit though. Mine is probably relatively high but I generally have expensive tastes when it comes to instruments. That said you can get great instruments for less but I have extremely specific wants and needs regarding tone. You could put a $15000 PRS in my hands and I'd hate it because it isn't my style. I'd be happier with a "student grade" 1955 Guild. It just reflects my personality and my playing style more.

Once you have the money saved up for the cheap, entry level guitar, put it away and save for a couple more months. A hollow body needs a little more quality than a solid because more tone is coming from the body and you don't really want to cheap out on that. You made that appearant when you critiqued the Hamer. Just looked at that Gretsch, would take that over any Epi.

You know we Jersey boys have to stick together. I'm beginning to think that where my GAS needs to be directed is at 1950's Guilds made in Hoboken. I like my friend's a lot and the CE-100 is the next quality level up from there. It seems that the 50's Guilds are often overlooked by people- very possibly because they have the very particular sound and most people are looking for something much more modern. I think I am going to start trawling for CE-100's

A little bit of GAS for a Peavey E208 to go with my Telecoustic. And I think it looks cool.
    What's wrong with jibber-jabber? Some of my best stuff is jibber-jabber.

looks awesome atmike!

@etechstan

you're right.. solidbody is different from a semi-hollow/hollow body.. I didnt think of that and thanks for pointing that out..