Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You GAS'ing For Lately?

I thought my GAS and inevitable purchases were done for a while, but something that happened at the last band practice has me wanting again.

After the rehearsal was over, I quickly packed up and headed outside for a smoke. When I was coming back in a few minutes later, from the next room through the open door, I watched one of the guys boot my amp (which was sitting on the floor in it's new padded cover) out of the way so he could put his guitar in it's case. I was horrified, because I know what that can do to tubes that are still hot.

I'd love to continue to use the Twin, but I'm now afraid of how little respect other people may have for band equipment. I'm thinking about asking the pawnshop if they'll let me take an amp Thursday afternoon and buy or return it the next day, which I'm sure they'll do for me. It's a Fender Stage 100, rated at 100 watts, and solid state. They offered it to me for 150.00 (100.00 off their ask price) when I was buying my speaker box, but at the time I couldn't justify the extra bucks, plus I expected to use the Twin head.

Now, spending that 150.00 for the Stage 100 seems like a cheap life insurance policy on my vintage Twin Reverb.

Fender Stage 100 Amp Head With Reverb Duncan, Cowichan
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I don't blame you- that is pretty awful for band members to be kicking your stuff to the side- how would they feel if you did that?

Change of plans, and N.A.D.

I saw an ad late last night on Used Victoria, sent the guy an email, and looked at this this morning. It's a Fender Rumble 150 and it cost me 100.00........

I'm happy you got a new amp, but...

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    ...I watched one of the guys boot my amp...
    that would be the end of my time with this band.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I'm happy you got a new amp, but...

.....that would be the end of my time with this band.
    My initial reaction was the same, but I've learned (the hard way) to keep my Irish temper in check. The guy who did it's a plumber by trade, and a little rough around the edges. I decided the best way to handle it is to make sure it can't happen again.

I wish I could get a little more excited about acquiring a new amp, but this purchase was more out of necessity than desire. There's a part of me that sees buying a cheap Fender as a compromise based on budget.....kind of like buying a Squier or an Epiphone instead of a Fender or Gibson, but without the option of modding it into something I'll really like. I still haven't hooked it up since I bought it, which should tell you something about how I feel.

You know what SC? Sometimes we need a "cheapie" for a particular purpose.

See my other thread- I just ordered a $100 Squier strat last night. I am hardly elated about the purchase but it fills a specific need I have. Consider the Rumble the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    You know what SC? Sometimes we need a "cheapie" for a particular purpose.

See my other thread- I just ordered a $100 Squier strat last night. I am hardly elated about the purchase but it fills a specific need I have. Consider the Rumble the same thing.
    You're right, dB. It just feels like I settled for less than I would like to have. As a matter of fact, I've had a couple of pangs of buyers remorse, thinking I should have spent an extra 50.00 and bought that Fender Stage 100 that's in the local pawnshop. It's a silly idea, being 50 watts less power than the Rumble 150, and it's got all the drive/more drive channel nonsense and a reverb that I don't need. The answer is - It looks like a full-size blackface Fender head, whereas the Rumble amp is puny at 2" high and 13" long. My Weber Z-Matcher that I use between the amp and cabinet will absolutely dwarf it, lol.

GAS begets more GAS...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    You're right, dB. It just feels like I settled for less than I would like to have. As a matter of fact, I've had a couple of pangs of buyers remorse, thinking I should have spent an extra 50.00 and bought that Fender Stage 100 that's in the local pawnshop. It's a silly idea, being 50 watts less power than the Rumble 150, and it's got all the drive/more drive channel nonsense and a reverb that I don't need. The answer is - It looks like a full-size blackface Fender head, whereas the Rumble amp is puny at 2" high and 13" long. My Weber Z-Matcher that I use between the amp and cabinet will absolutely dwarf it, lol.
    I'm in the same boat, SC. For just a little more money here and there I would have gotten an upgraded X or Y or it would have looked better. But consider your Rumble how I will consider that Bullet- it is the one that if it gets broken or stolen, you won't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I'm in the same boat, SC. For just a little more money here and there I would have gotten an upgraded X or Y or it would have looked better. But consider your Rumble how I will consider that Bullet- it is the one that if it gets broken or stolen, you won't really care.
    I can't see myself using this amp long-term, but if it survives, it would be a good spare to have....small enough to haul along to a gig in a small suitcase full of cords, tuner, Z-Matcher, etc.