Thread: Les Paul resto

Les Paul resto

A few months back I had a customer bring this 89 Les Paul Black beauty to work the bugs out of. The biggest issue was the terrible sounding feedback plagued pickups that were in it. This model had the dreaded Bill Lawrence printed circuit pickups. It sucked in 89 when it was new & age did not help it at all. I replaced them with some of Mike Reilander's Reverend Humbuckers. He put the original covers back on them for me because I did not want this guitar to loose that reliced look. Its played hundreds of gigs & I wanted to respect that. The pickups are excellent. They capture everything you would ask from a great humbucker. I have never come across a pickup that responded so well to the use of the tone control. On the bridge selection when your overdriven you can turn the tone all the way to bass & it becomes Jimi Page heaven. Beautiful sweet highs & even when you play open E stuff it doesn't sound muddy. I am totally happy with them.I gotta get a set for myself soon. Lol. The thing was filthy & wouldn't stay in tune. That went away with a good cleaning. I used some 600grit in the nut & it seems rock solid now. All in all this turned out as one of the nicest Les Pauls I ever played. I hope he takes his time to pick it up. I want to put it through the paces for a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-11_10-16-16_866.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	3312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-11_10-14-59_868.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	3313  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That's a beauty, KC. Enjoy it while you have it.

I'm a sucker for a black Les Paul Custom--which is part of the reason I have one.

Nice look to it--and good to hear the pickups were upgraded.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Nice job! What did you use to clean the finish? I'm always curious about products!
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

Thanks guys! I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze cut polish. The #2 fine cut works really well. Cleaning all the gold hardware was the most work. The guy that owns it sweats out his hands when he plays & everything was rusty & corroded. The bridge was so bad that the adjustment screws on the saddles were a pain to take out & the posts were like they were welded to the bridge. I completely disassembled the bridge then used a dremal tool with a brass brush to clean the threads. I put lithium grease on all the moving parts when I reassembled it. It was a little tedious cleaning the gold because it will come off if you work it too much I was careful to only remove the corrosion. The mirror glaze works good for that because the #2 grade is a fine cut &removes nice & slow.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I use Meguiar's Pro Swirl Remover 2.0. It works great for removing gunk and mung. Then either Mequiar's Show Car Glaze, or California Custom's M-RON polish.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

She's a beauty