Thread: 70s Aria bass resto

70s Aria bass resto

3 weeks ago a customer brought me this molested. 70s Aria Jazz bass copy. It was covered in stickers scotch tape & duct tape. Oh man old duct tape sucks to get off I tell ya. There were screw holes both stock & misplaced ones added after. I made more then 40 wood plugs to fill them all. I feathered out the chips & gouges then finish sanded with 600 then 1500 wet. I used some water based black dye on the body to weather the feathered out repairs & to color my plugs black. I replaced the terrible tuners some butcher put on then shimmed the neck. I had to find a way to cover the wire cavity so I hand carved a small plate to go over it. I also made the replacement string nut. It turned out pretty nice wish it was mine. I think he should be happy with the finished result. Sorry guys for some reason I cant load any photos. Dissapointing
    Last edited by Keletcaster; 11-08-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Too bad about the pictures......I'd like to have seen before and after photos. Sounds like it turned out well for you though.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

yeah too bad- I'd have liked to see those pix too

This is too cool not to share. I got these pictures in an email from KC, so I'm passing them on......

It looks great, KC! I'll bet the owner will be thrilled to see how you transformed this this thing.

I know people who had Matsumoku made Fender bass copies made probably around the same time--and they looked similar.
    Not bad basses. (Matsumoku made Aria and a variety of other brands--often the same guitars/basses with different names on the headstock--or none at all so someone coudl slap a decal on them.)
    My EB-3 copy is also Matsumoku made--but I like it better.

What are the pickups like?
    Are they stock?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

One of the things I find pleasing about it is that it's an honest relic, rather than the pretentious belt-sanded, acid-etched monstrosities that are so common now. This bass looks old, heavily-played and well-loved.

Thanks Spell! The pickups are pretty good. The bridge measured 8.5k & the neck was at 8.15 which is respectable. I was relieved because they mount different then a normal Jazz pickup. I would of had to mod the body & make pickup rings I'm guessing. They were well constructed with old school red fiber bobbins. They have a nice middy punch to them.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.