Thread: Tag team Lawsuit

Tag team Lawsuit

A short time ago I was contacted by by builder buddy Spellcaster he had an old Raven Lawsuit LesPaul that he just wasn't into finishing. We all know what kinda' Fender guy he is. Lol!. He most generously gave it to me. So I had my Brother Rich who lives not far from him pick it up. He disassembled it wrapped it up & sent it to me on the bus. The fretboard was delaminating from the neck & the only way of fixing it was to remove it completely. When I removed the binding I noticed the board was just starring to crack on a fret notch. This made it pretty touch & go to remove without breaking it so the whole process took the better part of an afternoon to remove the board from the neck. I used an iron razor & putty knife to remove it slowly. I pinned & reglued it down in place. I also give it a full refret. This whole rebuild took a few weeks to complete. Its a rebuilt now with Grover tuners new electronics which include full size pots orange drop.010 tone caps & Guitarheads large pole humbuckers. The pickups are very strong. The bridge is a whopping 16k. I was pleasantly surprised at the decent tone that they provided for not only a crazy powerful pickup but a inexpensive one as well. Good alternative to GFS if you are building a budget bomb such as this. I still would go higher end on my custom builds but I do a fair amount of budget jobs for customers & will buy more in the future. In the end this old gal kicks some ass. I love it. One of my 1st guitars was a Lawsuit similar to this & I have wanted another one for quiet some time to add to my growing collection. It is a gift. Spells great job shielding with copper has made this guitar probably my quietest so far. All my guitars have nick names & this one will be forever known as Spell. Thanks Ken!. I am having some issues posting photos these days so I have asked Spell to post some when he has time. So stay tuned guys they will be arriving soon.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That's a really great story, KC. You and Spellcaster are my heroes!

Whwn I tried to post, I discovered the forum wouldn't accept all of the photos in one post, so here are the in-progress repairs to the neck.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

That turned out great, KC. Nice to see the old girl ready for action again. Nicely done!

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

That's a great restoration, guys!

This thread went in a completely different direction than I expected--but it was much cooler.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    This thread went in a completely different direction than I expected--but it was much cooler.
    Haha - you too, ZT?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.