Thread: DIY soldering fume extractor

DIY soldering fume extractor

So, as you all may have guessed, I spend a lot of time with my soldering station. I have forever had one of those desktop fume extractors, but found that they lacked power and only worked on a very small surface area.

I needed something that had a large work surface, and could move a lot of air volume. I got my hand on a direct drive furnace blower, and built a 3 stage filter system comparable to that found in air purifiers. Total cost of the build was about $150.

Here's the finished product. (everything is square, it's just a weird camera perspective.)

good idea- I can imagine the fumes to be quite toxic over time.

Do you use a soldapult too?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    good idea- I can imagine the fumes to be quite toxic over time.

Do you use a soldapult too?
    I don't really have a need for a soldapult or a solder sucker. I'm rarely desoldering, and on the rare occasion I do, I use a wick. That may change if I get into pedals though.

That's a great solution to what could be a significant health issue if you're doing lots of soldering. For most of my working life, I've done car stereo installs, as part- or full-time work, and I was always troubled by the fumes you breathe when you're up close and personal with a Weller 8200 gun and resin-core solder. Never found a good solution in that application, but for your situation doing bench-work, the fume extractor's a wonderful idea.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    That's a great solution to what could be a significant health issue if you're doing lots of soldering. For most of my working life, I've done car stereo installs, as part- or full-time work, and I was always troubled by the fumes you breathe when you're up close and personal with a Weller 8200 gun and resin-core solder. Never found a good solution in that application, but for your situation doing bench-work, the fume extractor's a wonderful idea.
    When I was doing car audio, I was the only one in our shop that soldered and heat shrinked harness adapters while everyone else was crimping. The guys would razz me a bit, but the finished product was less bulky and easier to tuck into tight spots.

There was nothing worse than being stuck under a dash and having a stream of solder smoke go right up your nostril. Even if you held you breath, the smoke would just sit there and wait... biding it's time, until you give the slightest inhale, and the WHOOSH! Right up the nose.

That's cool.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.