Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly neck rebuild

Ugly neck rebuild

I picked up this completely beat to sh&% strat neck for nothing with an Ibanez Roadstar neck I got for a song. I wanted to rebuild something that was really bad to gain some confidence so I can tackle more expensive projects in the future. I will rebuild a few of these beaters before I ever take on a pricey one.

Pretty ugly indeed.

So I removed all the wore out frets & with my trusty thrift store iron I removed the fretboard. I have seen all sorts of fancy fretboard removal tools but what I have found is a good old Olfa blade works best for me. I start at the heal & work my way towards the headstock holding on one side with my hand & gently tapping with a small hammer on the other. The trick is is that the fretboard has to be hot so the glue is soft. As soon as you stop moving easily that is an indication that the glue is to solid. So you just go at it with the iron again. This is an exercise in patients. Removing this board took an hour & a half. I just sipped on a couple beers & slowly worked my way through. The removal went without a hitch. What I found underneath was a rusty damaged cheepo truss rod which at some point snapped away from its anchor point in the headstock. No point in putting that chunk of crap back in.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I purchased a nice quality dual action truss rod & with some modification I got it in with a nice snug fit. Flattening the board was easy with the iron clamped to a piece of metal flat bar over night. Sorry I forgot to take that picture. I then ran pins through the fretboard into the neck on 4 points that wont be visible after lining up the fretboard on a dry run. This is important cause the glue is slippery & will make it a pain in the butt to hold in place. They skate all over the place. I then glued the board down & with 38 zap straps & a clamp on the heel with Titebond original glue. I used to use clamps but an online friend from the UK showed me the Zap strap method & this is the 1st time I tried it. I will never clamp again. It is as good a trick as the pins. Today I will remove the straps. I will give it the full 24hr cure time just to be on the safe side.

Stay tuned. I will give the fretboard a nice fresh radius next.
    Last edited by Keletcaster; 09-03-2015 at 07:59 PM.

This is the fretboard radius procedure. I have no idea what brand this neck is but it does have a vintage 7.25 radius. From what I understand that would make it pre 83 after that most manufacturers were making 9.5. Seeing as I don't have a neck with that radius I opted to leave it. The radius sanding block I made worked excellent. As you can see from the one photo's how out of wack this board was from a butcher sanding by someone who should have left it alone from the dark area's. the heel is a little uneven as well so the ended up a little thinner on one side after it was leveled. no big deal its flat as a platter & the truss rod works excellent. I was able to move the neck in both positions with ease. I predict a good player with this neck.

Last edited by Keletcaster; 09-03-2015 at 08:01 PM.

All in all its looking like a pretty decent neck so far.

I'm impressed. You've developed some great skills, KC.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I wasn't sure what you meant by neck rebuild--but now I know.

Cool.

I have a neck I bought years ago for a project that never happened--it was a used neck I got cheap--Gibson style.
    Maybe this will inspire me to try something.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I am seriously thinking of relocating, just so I can be your neighbour!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

You & I could have one hell of a band bud! Please move to Abbotsford BC.

Thanks everyone! Today I removed the plastic fret markers to get ready For the Green Abalone dot's I have coming from Taiwan. Now I am waiting for stuff to arrive. I have a nice Bone nut coming as well. This is fun!

I know people who don't like abalone as they find it too showy--but me?
    I love it & am looking forward to a close up once the inlay is done.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.