Thread: Inlay Upgrade

Inlay Upgrade

I decided to get rid of the ugly plastic fret markers on this Strat. I thought I would show the process in replacing them with some beautiful green Abalone.

Here is the before shot.

The 1st thing you do is drill a small hole in the old insert. Its important to go nice & light & feel for the give in the bit when you hit the void between the insert & fretboard.

The next thing is to take the bit you drilled with & insert it backwards into the hole & gently work it back & forth until it pops loose from the board. When I did this with maple it was a breeze. On Rosewood its a lot tougher. It wanted to take a chunk of fretboard out almost on everyone. so removing them was a pretty long & a little scary process. In the end I got them out without any damage.

One by one out with the old.

I installed them with Stumac #2 super glue. Its important to make sure that the insert sits completely above the fretboard so you can scrape it flush with the board. I also used 220 & 320 sandpaper for the final surface. Finishing off with 000 steel wool to clean the dust out of the grain. Note the tape on the razor to help with unwanted scratching of the fretboard.

Here it is. A definate upgrade from the cheepo white plastic inserts it came stock with.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That's the first time I've actually seen anybody demonstrating the process. Thanks for sharing. I think it's a nice upgrade....subtle, but a lot of times it's the attention to detail in your builds that sets them apart. Nice job!
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Very nice.
    Keep it up and I will be looking at property around the corner.

(And - I'm assuming the neck's playability made this work worth it...)
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Thanks guys. I love this guitar. It plays great. & it is the best sounding Stratty Strat I have ever had. A couple weeks ago I installed a set of Mike's Midscoop's & wow! I really liked the Texas wounds that were in it before but the midscoops are the Bomb!
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Looks cool--and like you know what you're doing--which is cool too.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.