Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lock nut reversal

It's looking really good, KC. Interesting to see the process one step at a time.

You're right.....It's too hot. It must be Miller time.....
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Thanks Spell! Last night I blended the fretboard into the headstock. After suffering all day at work in the insane summer heat I sat in an air conditioned room & sipped on a couple beers & enjoyed filing this out.

Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Today I went at fretting this neck. What I do is use No More Nails which is an all purpose construction adhesive. Its not a super bond glue. Basically its more for filling the void under the fret then anything. It does hold the fret but not like super glue. When this neck needs a refret whomever does it will thank me. filling the void makes the neck a lot more stable tuning wise. You just simply fill the fret slot , install the fret & wipe off the excess with soap & water leaving it filled,bonded & clean.

After installing each fret I like to cut them off fairly close 1 at a time.

This is a shot of the tanging tool nipping the underside of each fret.

Last edited by Keletcaster; 08-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Here it is with brand new medium frets ready for the cleanup with the fret bevel.

Now for the beveling.

Here it is all beveled & zero sharp ends. Its come a long way. I decided to go with a 9.5 radius on the board before I fretted after thinking on it a while.So I did that beforehand. I am going to use a tune o matic style bridge on this project & without individual saddle height adjustment I felt it would be better to go with a flatter profile. The guys at Tonebomb are making me a body for this neck. Its not a Tele or a Strat. I wanted to do something different with this one. I dug through my parts & used stuff I had which will make for a unique instrument.

Cool, I wish I had the aptitude to do that sort of thing...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Thanks Z man! Okay between last night & this morning I leveled & crowned the frets & this morning I gave it the 1st coat of Tung oil. I think it looks great. Depending how the drying go's I may do a second coat today. I really liked the results I got last time with the Danish Oil. Every time it seems I find a product that works for me here in Canada my source stops stocking it. Rat's! I just wanted a different shade but they stopped selling it all together. So instead of driving all over the place to find it. I went with the old school tried & true Tung oil. There isn't much left on this thing. I will pickup a new Graphtech Tusk nut for it hopefully this week. I will probably have to order one. After the oiling process is over & it is fully dry I will buff it with Antiquwax. Pointy are not this is gonna be a great feeling neck. I can hardly wait to get to play it.

great job KC- what else can one say!

Thanks Buddy!