Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snark revisited

Snark revisited

I have been using Snark tuners for stage for years now. I like the fact that you can get them for very cheap and for certain they are close enough to get you in tune quickly between songs.

I know a bunch of guys here use them and I wanted to ask if you if you are seeing the same durability issues that I have with them. I find that after a few years the vibration sensor breaks and you have to switch to microphone mode (which does continue to work). For me this is particularly annoying as I turn my volume to 0 to tune between songs on gigs. What I am wondering is if this is a problem with all Snark tuners or because I also use them on trumpets which vibrate much more than guitar headstocks?

Now it is isn't a complaint per se. The things are cheap enough that when it happens you simply give it away and buy another one for $10. But I now have 3 Snarks SN-2's that the vibration sensor is broken on, and it seems to be a pattern.

dB

I've never used one, so I can't offer an opinion. After getting a Peterson StroboFlip and realizing the inaccuracies in three other tuners I owned, I stopped using them altogether. I can understand the appeal in something cheap if a player wants to have a tuner in every guitar case, but it's not for me. But, if you're getting a few months or a year out of a 10.00 item, you got your money's worth.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

The Peterson's are great tuners but very difficult to use a strobe tuner in between songs on stage

I haven't had an issue with them.
    I have two (Misplaced the first one at one point--later found it)
    I also have one I got off Reverb that they put on sale for a couple of bucks every so often--but I don't like them as much as they don't position as well as the Snarks for visibility.

I have an older Intellitouch that cost more than the other three, and goes through batteries more quickly.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    The Peterson's are great tuners but very difficult to use a strobe tuner in between songs on stage
    Sadly, there's some truth in that, although I think that speaks more about the state of tuning key technology. Using a strobe tuner is dead easy with Steinbergers, but when you start throwing more common tuning keys like the Kluson vintage-styles into the mixer, it's a lot easier to overshoot and have to start over. I'm still not sold on using a less-accurate electronic tuner that will only get you in the neighborhood. YMMV.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I have the Peterson app on my phone (See a good thing about smartphones Spell)
    It works real well--I can use the mic or I can plug into my phone. (I have the technology)

But I mostly use the Snark.

What I'd really like is an old Conn Strobotuner, or the closest Peterson one to it.
    I'd use that at home.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I have one Snark and have had it for several years. It stays home because I don't like the way it looks onstage. So it has not suffered the abuse yours has. It still works as well as I ever remember it working (which means it works great after all these years).

I have bought more than a dozen clip-on tuners over the years. I have never had the vibration/sensor problem that you describe, dB. Maybe it IS the trumpets in your life that are killing your Snarks.

Mine have all lasted until they either got stolen at gigs or jams, or they were broken in transit. I still have at least a half-dozen. I am one of those "a tuner in every guitar case" players that Spell referred to.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

It probably is the trumpets that destroy them then. It is isn't a coincidence that 3 of mine now can't function in vibration mode; I could use them in mic mode for the trumpets except when you are tuning 2 trumpets simultaneously I think it would confuse the tuner as to which pitch is which. Again one can't complain too much about a $10 tuner that gives you a couple years service. I am going to give them away- my son has a trumpet student who would be happy for one.

SC- Although the Snark isn't perfect I still think it is okay for stage. Supposedly the new Snarks are all "supertight". Frankly I have one and can't tell the difference at all other than the colour.

I also keep a tuner in every case, or at least in every case of guitars that I gig with; some of my guitars will probably never leave the house. In fact I recently decided that to be safe I am going to pack a spare tuner in our gig accessory bag because if we were on a job and my tuner bombed I'd really be up the creek. $10 insurance policy!

I keep two in a bag Ii take to church with stuff I need, no matter whether I play guitar & bass (& I add to that bag or subtract as needed)
    Strap, etc are in the cases...

I can't believe all these years I only brought one tuner with me. Although worst case I suppose I could always use a smartphone to tune