Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to DIY & when to take it to a pro

I know one of my guitars could use some fret work (my first electric --the LP copy)--but I sue it for slide--so I'm not too worried about it
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

String changes, intonation, radius set and truss rod adjustments, I can do fine. but the fretwork, nut work and fret levelling, I am not confident and would take it in. but the thing is, it cost a heck lot in my part of the world.. good thing that the luthier I bring my guitars to became a really good friend of mine, and offers 1:1 masterclass on setting and basic repairs. I did reserve a slot in a couple of months. I still have to pay him quite a big chunk, but it will save me a lot of money in the long run.

I will learn fret levelling, fret dress, setup on electric and acoustic guitars/basses, basic repairs, measuring stuff rather than eyeballing, maybe soldering and pickup mounting??, and some basic knowledge on wood, wood behavior, humidity and the likes!

I did break one truss rod on a cheapie. still broke my heart, even if it was a cheapie, it sounded so good for a plywood guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I know one of my guitars could use some fret work (my first electric --the LP copy)--but I sue it for slide--so I'm not too worried about it
    Good Lord man, don't SUE it because it has high action!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Good Lord man, don't SUE it because it has high action!
    never said it had high action--said it needed fretwork
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    never said it had high action--said it needed fretwork
    Regardless still don't sue it!

This thread's got me thinking about the signs you see posted in service shops......So much if you want to watch, double if you want to help, and three times more if you tried it first yourself and screwed it up.

Before I try something, I try to imagine how much satisfaction I'll get if I pull it off successfully vs how much embarrassment I'll feel if I end up giving somebody else a mess to fix. It's like Clint Eastwood said...."A man's got to know his limits"
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    This thread's got me thinking about the signs you see posted in service shops......So much if you want to watch, double if you want to help, and three times more if you tried it first yourself and screwed it up.

Before I try something, I try to imagine how much satisfaction I'll get if I pull it off successfully vs how much embarrassment I'll feel if I end up giving somebody else a mess to fix. It's like Clint Eastwood said...."A man's got to know his limits"
    I tried rewiring an amp some time back, replacing some failed components. It was a learning experience- what I learned most is I have no business doing this kind of stuff myself.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It's like Clint Eastwood said...."A man's got to know his limits"

(Hey any excuse to post a catch phrase video like that--why not?)