Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to DIY & when to take it to a pro

When to DIY & when to take it to a pro

When to DIY & when to do it yourself

We have a variety/range of skills & aptitude (As well as experience) in these areas--even among our small group of regulars--but still an interesting over all guide.
    I know some of the so-called trickier stuff is well within the the range of some here.

So with the range of abilities & all that here, I would like to see what you think about it
    Yes I am talking to anybody who reads this.

I have done all the non electronic stuff on the basic list--and some of the electronic stuff.
    I have replaced the nut on one guitar--but it slipped while drying (More a tool issue as I didn't have good clamp & used string tension--which allowed the nut to move)--as I was taking it in to have pickups & wiring replaced I just had him re-do the nut as well
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

For anything more than a string change I'd probably take it in. I'd rather pay a guy to do a full setup, spray contact cleaner, etc. I generally only need a new setup when I change to heavier string gauges- otherwise a setup will last me for years

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    For anything more than a string change I'd probably take it in. I'd rather pay a guy to do a full setup, spray contact cleaner, etc. I generally only need a new setup when I change to heavier string gauges- otherwise a setup will last me for years
    A well done set up will last a long time--unless you take the guitar to different climates, your local climate is not very consistent or --as you mention--string gauge changes
    Even then a good set up may only need tweaks

but I learned to do a lot of stuff myself.
    I had a friend who used to do stuff like that for me.
    But as life happens that isn't always possible--and I didn't like what some others did--so I learned myself.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

My climate isn't consistent at all but I've found my setups still last for years. I try to be as careful as possible about humidifying in winter however

I suspect that many people will draw the red line in the sand in different places, and for different things. For me, I probably have too much sense of adventure with physical modifications, but I'm timid venturing into more than basic setups.

I'm intimidated by turning trussrods....Mainly because I saw someone else having horrible problems from it, early on. I can do most of the basic setups comfortably myself, but don't want to tweak a rod myself. That's a job for someone more qualified.

Also, fretwork is beyond DIY for me....Better that it's someone with good eyesight.....

I've sent five of my builds for a pro setup after I'd done my best with them, and four out of five were significantly better when they came back.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've adjusted a truss rod when it was a minor tweak--and practiced on a cheap guitar
    For major tweaks I'd get someone else to look at it.
    I once checked out a truss rod for a young guitar player--son of some friends.
    I tried a little tweak and when it didn't do anything I told him to take it to get it checked out.
    It was a cheap acoustic & they suspected it may be beyond saving--and the tech said that as well.
    But I got to go guitar shopping to help someone else.

I won't touch truss rods. Maybe on a cheap guitar I would mess with it but I would never do any adjustments on my gigging guitars

How about on a carbon steel neck?

That would be a heck of a truss rod to bend that neck...

The other thing that I shy away from is fretwork and nutwork. My eyesight isn't up to the task, I don't have the necessary tools, and I'm intimidated by something I know nothing about.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."