Thread: Gilmore Strat mod

Gilmore Strat mod

A while ago someone on here posted this mod I tried to find it but so far I haven't. So to who ever did thanks. This is the Dave Gilmore Strat mod. It is so simple & inexpensive I wish I did it a long time ago. All it requires was a on off mini switch & 2 small wires & what you get is 2 new sounds. It allows you to kick on the neck pickup regardless of were the 5 position switch is. This gives you a bridge neck setting as well as all 3. I am so happy with the new tones I would recommend this mod to anyone who is not afraid to put a small hole in there Strat pickguard. The neck bridge setting is awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gilmore modded 001.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	2716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GilmourSwitch.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	2717  
    Bruce

Ok but its gonna' be loud.

Yes, I have this in one of my strats. Still undecided on which others will get it, as I don't want to pop holes in the pickguards. I will use push-pull knobs for them.

Some people prefer to switch in the bridge pickup.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I didn't know this was called the Gilmore mod.

I've always done this mod by paralleling the neck and bridge at the five-way switch, using a toggle to make and break the connection. It basically does the same thing, but the extra switch positions (N + B, and N + M + B) are available at position 1 and position 5 of the pickup switch.

It does sound good sometimes. I've found I don't use the neck/bridge combination as much as the neck.middle/bridge setting. The neck/bridge combo doesn't sound very Tele-like to me, which is what I had anticipated the first time I tried it several years ago.

The only guitar I have set up this way (with the toggle switch) is my green Strat partscaster. I also have those pickup combinations available in my cherryburst Strat, but it's done by using a Super-switch. I'm more likely to choose the neck and bridge in series (which does sound very Tele-like) or the neck and middle in series, which is a quack sound, but better, to my ear, than the quack achieved by putting them in parallel.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

This idea is starting to intrigue me...
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Hmm, I already have a bridge & neck option with my Mustang.

And it's what I use the most--both in & out of phase.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Somehow I got a double post--not sure why...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.