Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 pickup strat

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    WD did a custom pickup for me and I have no complaints. You send him a template of exactly what you want and he will cut it to spec. In your case it would be easier as you really just need a stock strat with 5 PU's. My Guild X-500's pickguard was made by him because I had P90's dropped in instead of the humbuckers that came with it.

Warmouth is probably just as good but I never bought from them.
    Yeah, whoever I get to make this, I will just send them the photo I started this thread with, and hope that is all they need.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    DB's got a good point. The difficulty I had was that the outside shape was out of whack. If you send a tracing of your guard, you should be able to side-step that landmine.

Just for fun, I had a look at a five-pickup Strat online. My concerns about it being tight between the pickups on the underside was unfounded. It's close, but nothing touches. You can see a brief view of the underside of the loaded pickguard at 11:35 of this video.

Thanks for that video, Spell! I did not consider searching Youtube for a 5 pickup strat. There are even a couple other videos, but not as informative as this one.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Yeah, whoever I get to make this, I will just send them the photo I started this thread with, and hope that is all they need.
    I can't imagine they COULDN'T figure this out if you tell them take a standard strat template and cut 2 more pickups in between. The one thing I would caution is material. Make sure it is stable enough. I wouldn't use one ply- I'd almost tip towards anodized to make sure it can never crack

1 - 5-way behaves like on a regular strat. The extra pickups are not used. Positions 2 and 4 give the Knopfler sounds, which is also hum-cancelling if the proper pickups are used for each position. (Reverse-wound and opposite polarity for middle.)

2 - Positions 1 and 5 give the the bridge or neck pickup in series with the extra pickup next to it.
    With my other strats, my series wiring puts the middle pickup in series with the bridge and neck pickup, respectively. I lose a lot of highs this way, possibly because the pickups are not close to each other. (Or maybe it's a strat pickup thing. ) I am hoping that by having the pickups a bit closer together, it will be a bit more like a humbucker.

3 - 5-way selects 5 different pickups.

4 - Engage neck pickup, so when bridge is selected (in option 1 or 3), I get the Gilmour sound.
    You should be able to achieve this with a super switch and 2 push/pulls
    In regards to point number two... You're loosing highs because of the increased load on the tone circuit. Most humbucker equipped guitars are equipped with 500k pots. Single coils are generally extremely bright with 500k's so they usually have 250k pots to shave the top end. The down side is if you connect 2 singles in series, the resistance of the two pickups is summed, and you end up loosing more top end from the added load.

I wonder about pickup polarity. If you're going to do the extra pickups in series with the neck and the bridge, would it make sense that you use a standard Strat set without the middle being RWRP, and doing the extra intermediates in RWRP instead?

I'm also curious about having the pickups so close, and what it'll do to the magnetic fields. I'm kinda hoping Mike will offer an opinion on that.
    There are tricks you can do to manipulate the field. I would think that the best thing to do would be N-S-S-S-N or vice versa. You can then couple the magnets of the north and south of the pickups closest to the bridge and neck, leaving the middle un-coupled. You do this by bridging the polepieces of 2 pickups with a piece of shimming steel or sheet metal from the underside, essentially turning the polepieces of the 2 joined pickups into a horse shoe magnet. Ultimately, it would take some experimenting.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 12-06-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    You should be able to achieve this with a super switch and 2 push/pulls
    In regards to point number two... You're loosing highs because of the increased load on the tone circuit. Most humbucker equipped guitars are equipped with 500k pots. Single coils are generally extremely bright with 500k's so they usually have 250k pots to shave the top end. The down side is if you connect 2 singles in series, the resistance of the two pickups is summed, and you end up loosing more top end from the added load.
    Okay, that makes sense. I have in the past thought of experimenting with resistors and caps to be switched in when I am not using series wiring, and switched out when I am using series wiring. The point would be to have the non-series sounds "toned down" to match the series sounds. Maybe use 500k pots to give me a brighter starting point.
    I have not been playing my series-wired strat much the past couple of years, so that idea has been put on the shelf.

It's been a while since I have played around with this stuff, so research will be needed. Any more suggestions, Mike?

... the best thing to do would be N-S-S-S-N or vice versa...
    That is exactly how I was thinking.

...You can then couple the magnets of the north and south of the pickups closest to the bridge and neck, leaving the middle un-coupled. You do this by bridging the polepieces of 2 pickups with a piece of shimming steel or sheet metal from the underside, essentially turning the polepieces of the 2 joined pickups into a horse shoe magnet. Ultimately, it would take some experimenting.
    This is going to be a fun project. Thanks, Mike!

Now that I've retired from the AxeTalk Weird Science Department, DW, I think you get to wear the hat for a while.

This is going to be a fun project to watch from the sidelines.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Now that I've retired from the AxeTalk Weird Science Department, DW, I think you get to wear the hat for a while.

This is going to be a fun project to watch from the sidelines.
    Yeah, but it ain't happenin' for at least a month.

Any more suggestions, Mike?
    One thing you can do is get a dual concentric pot with a 250K stacked on top of a 500k. Solder the inner and outer shafts together, so they rotate as a single shaft. You can then wire the 500k to the leg of the super switch that has the series wiring, and use the 250 on the other legs.
    Or, if you're going to have series and parallel switching on the same leg, you can wire it so that resistors get switched in automatically with the series connections.

One thing you can do is get a dual concentric pot with a 250K stacked on top of a 500k. Solder the inner and outer shafts together, so they rotate as a single shaft. You can then wire the 500k to the leg of the super switch that has the series wiring, and use the 250 on the other legs.
    Or, if you're going to have series and parallel switching on the same leg, you can wire it so that resistors get switched in automatically with the series connections.
    I like the way you think, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Yeah, but it ain't happenin' for at least a month.
    Well keep us updated.
    The more pictures the better.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.