Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever just live with a problem instead of fixing it?

Well when you are over your head- get help!

It's good to know people who will help...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I still haven't been to the sign shop to check out the gold foil for the headstock. I'm also going to look at the chrome foil for a small upgrade I want to do to my thinline. If you remember the build, a few years ago now, I had some dissatisfactions with the Gretsch Filtertron trim ring for the neck pickup. It was clear plastic painted on the bottom side with silver paint. I ended up painting it with "chrome" spray paint, but it always looked wrong. I ended up acquiring some chrome-ish tape that's used as part of a vapour barrier. It's not perfect....just a bit narrow, but thought I'd try it just to see how it looks.

Last edited by spellcaster; 04-16-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I always really liked your flame guitars, Spell. They were some of the first things that stood out for me when I joined this group.

And um, you guys are killin' me with all these hot lookin' teles this past week!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I always really liked your flame guitars, Spell. They were some of the first things that stood out for me when I joined this group.
    +1- very distinctive!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    +1- very distinctive!
    Thanks, guys. The funny thing is that when they first appeared, I really wasn't hot for the flamed bridges. It wasn't until I was getting ready to build my cherryburst Strat that I really considered one, when I realized it was a perfect answer to convert a Strat from a vibrato to a hardtail. Once I'd used that first bridge, I was more open to using the Tele version, which unfortunately comes only as a string-through. I used that Tele style on both my Telcasters plus my red Duosonic. (also have a Custom Droptail top-loader from the same company, Custom Shop Parts, on my tri-color sunburst Strat that used to have the Bigsby). The company's out of business, but every once in a while, a piece or two will show up on eBay.

I've been mentally kicking around the idea of doing a tweak on the cherryburst Strat body. The wiring has previously been super tight and fussy trying to tuck it in when I'm loading the pickguard. I'm anticipating it being tougher this time....Partly because there'll now be three extra ground wires from the bezels in the pickup loom, but also because I'm concerned about deforming the aluminum guard. I think it won't tolerate the stress that the old plastic guard did.

I'm very torn....It would be a lot more refined to open the cavity up with the router, but it means taking the neck off. This is the first time I've had this guitar apart without dismounting the neck, and past history tells me that it makes the guitar very unhappy and takes a long time to settle back in once it's been in pieces. I could leave the neck on and do it by hand. I do know that more space, however it happens, will make reassembly a lot smoother.

I decided it was time to get on with it. My pickups and harness aren't far away, so it was time to do the cavity modification. Ultimately, the urge to leave the neck on the body and not disturb the setup won, so I did it by hand. (I'd had to do it by hand when I first built the guitar because I had no router then). I set up the drill press, and used a 3/8 Forstner bit to hog out most of the material, tidied it up with a chisel, and then used a dremel tool with a sanding drum to do the finishing work. It's been redone with copper shielding foil, and I coated the bottom of the cavity with liquid electrical tape.

I started by cutting away some of the original shielding foil. I thought about just creating a swimming pool. but decided I wanted to leave some support between the pickups and wireless switches and mid-boost.

Finished now and waiting for the LET insulator to dry.....

One of the things that prompted this cavity enlargement was the fact that the replacement rocker switches for the wireless were deeper than the originals, so I was having some difficulty seating the pickguard. The guard drops into place nicely now....

I hope things are ready for the loaded guard to drop into place now. I have a vague ten-year-old memory of struggling because the mid-boost switch was tight between the volume control and the edge of the cavity, so I'm prepared to do a bit of carving to the cavity if the switch is tight.

This has been one of those stupid little things that I didn't get quite right when I was building it (it was the first six-string I built, in 2007), so I'm polishing things a little bit this time. I am so hoping that the guitar will be itself right away when I put it back together, rather than going through that "settling-in" process that I went through before.

Well even with a break--you still kept on keeping on.
    Hope it all comes together
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

One of the things I'd been tossing around is shielding the pickguard. I've read lots of things about anodized aluminum guards not requiring shielding. I'm skeptical about this. Firstly, I've never found aluminum foil to be nearly as effective as copper in shielding against radiated RFI and EMI noise. Secondly, I'm not a metallurgist, but I remain unconvinced that what Fender calls an anodized aluminum pickguard is pure aluminum with the best shielding characteristics, rather than an alloyed product. My experience with my CV Duosonic with the anodized guard bears this out. The guitar was noisy when I got it. It didn't appear to have any shielding paint in the cavities. I copper-foiled the cavities and got some improvement. Then, I copper-foiled the back side of the anodized aluminum guard....Not just around the controls, but the whole thing. The degree of improvement from copper foil on the back side of the guard was significant. So, the new Strat guard's going to get foiled as well.

This morning, I made a paper template of the guard to reflect the changed dimensions of the enlarged cavity for the mid-boost module and wireless controls. After I get the back side of the guard lined with copper foil, I'll use that template to mark the position of the mid-boost module, which will be double-faced taped in place.

Will extra shielding hurt?
    That what you need to decide.