Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever just live with a problem instead of fixing it?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ah the refreshing smell of mineral spirits (in a ventilated room!)
    One of the benefits of where I do guitar work is ventilation. My stove is at the perfect height, so I put down a carpet remnant on top of it. The fan hood throws great light with a high-test fluorescent bulb, and I can turn on the exhaust fan any time I want to paint or use chemicals.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

While I'm waiting for paint to dry, I've been playing Mr. DressUp (......No, not those kind of games, lol). I've been dry-fitting different pickguards, just to see what it would look like. I think my black guard looks as good as any colour, although there's still a part of me that lusts for a shiny gold one.

This is what I had originally planned for, until it actually showed up and had a purplish tinge to it.

I'm thinking about this project again. It sounds like my electronics will be back in a few weeks, so I'm going to be headed toward reassembly. I've toyed with the idea of a cosmetic upgrade for a while, and it would make sense to do it before I put it together (hopefully for another ten years, lol). It was out of my reach financially until I got a call back from the guy who did my income tax prep.....I expected to pay, and ended up with a refund almost double what I thought the bill would. So, this afternoon, I went window shopping......

I've never learned to love the gold covers that are on the American Standard Strat pickups. They look plastic-y and the gold finish is a slightly darker hue than the bridge and tuners. I guess there'll always be something in a build that makes you wish for something different later, and that's the one that screams "wrong" at me when I look at this one now. I find I want something more subtle, but hopefully not just basic black. I'm thinking about ordering three of these in gold:

I haven't been able to find these anywhere except Rockinger Guitars in Germany. They're German nickel-silver under the gold, so they're not cheap, but having seen them on Fussel's builds, I know they're elegant-looking. I'll put them over a new set of black covers. It might make sense to buy Rockinger's covers too, assuming that their covers and trim bezels will mate together nicely. The only thing I'm unsure about now is that their covers are blank (no magnet holes), like a Mustang or Duosonics would be, and I'm 99% sure the pickups are staggered magnets. I'd like to know that a blank cover will seat properly over the uneven magnet surface. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I looked at pickguards too....although it might be a stretch for me moneywise. Always liked the gold pickguard on my CV Duosonic and I've reflected on whether that finish would look good with the cherryburst Strat body and all the gold-plated hardware.

I know that, this time, I want to get everything right. I got away with disassembling the electronics without taking the neck off this time (first time!) but if I get the guitar back together again as one piece, I'd like to avoid tearing it down again.

There are a couple of small mods to do to any new guard that goes on this guitar.....a small hole next to the volume pot for the mini-toggle that turns on the mid-boost, and a pair of rectangular holes for the rocker switches that control the wireless power and mute switches flanking a pinhole for the wireless's LED pilot lamp. I'm assuming that the gold guards I'm seeing online that are described as gold mirror (highly reflective) are likely not going to tolerate being drilled or dremeled, so I've been limiting my looking to gold-anodized aluminum. I know (from having modded my CV Duosonic for the Strat hardtail bridge) that the aluminum ones are fussy to work on, but can be cut to look nice.

Still kicking around ideas.....Any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

^ I like that pickguard...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I have the same gold anodized PG on my strat

I think I'm talking myself into this. I just picked up my completed tax forms at the accountants and there's a little more refund than I expected. Unfortunately, I have to wait until the refund arrives before I order the parts, so it'll slow down the process of reassembly a bit. I think the shiny gold metal bits will look pretty good on the anodized gold pickguard.

I've been mulling over the wireless situation. I think, since I'm going to be waiting for parts anyway, I'll probably swap the wireless over to the channel 3 unit. In the next few days, I'll pull the channel 3 unit out of storage and do some tests just to confirm it's working. When I did the swap-over to the replacement unit that's in the guitar right now, I converted the wiring over to miniature RC wiring connectors, so I'll need to do the same to the board that I'm going to be installing.

Sounds like you're making a remote controlled guitar--which could be cool.
    (& possibly something out of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I finally got done to the issue of changing the wireless board, which is easier said than done. I thought that I could simply compare the boards to determine the wiring so I could test the channel three board I wanted to put in. There are some differences in the way they're wired, plus I don't have the pickguard side, which has the power and mute switches and the power LED. There are just too many variables, and this'll be a lot more straighforward once I've got the guard back.

The pickguard switching has turned out to have a broken contact in the rotary switch and Mike's got a replacement ordered. It's a slow process even after I get the guard back.....I'm waiting for my tax refund so I can order the new anodized guard, the gold trim rings, new black pickup covers, and new gold screws for the guard. I'm spending dough I hadn't planned on, but I'm justifying it as my retirement gift, lol. I never got a gold watch when I retired, so I'm getting some new gold guitar guts.......

I wonder how much longer I'm going to be able to do this. I'm really struggling to see well enough to do electronics.

Gold guitar guts is a better retirement gift than a gold watch...

+1...................