Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever just live with a problem instead of fixing it?

Ever just live with a problem instead of fixing it?

My main Strat has developed problems gradually over time, but it's been playing so nicely that I didn't want to tear it down to chase electrical gremlins. My one experience stripping it down, to change the wireless board and boil the strings wasn't good. It wasn't a happy guitar when I put it back together, and it took about six weeks before it finally settled in.

I've finally accrued enough other issues that it needs to be stripped down again, so I'm gritting my teeth and doing this....I have a dead #1 position on the five way switch (although the bridge pickup works in other switch positions), the three position rotary switch is sloppy-loose, and the mini-toggle that turns on and off the mid-boost has gotten sloppy feeling and the circuit's not operating properly. I think the bypass position is okay, but when the boost is inline, things get quieter and thinner sounding. I'm hoping it's just the mini-toggle rather than the Villex unit which is sealed in epoxy.

I'm also toying with switching wireless boards again. Although the channel 11 board that's in it now is still working, it's noisier and seems to have more directional issues than the original channel 3 board did. I changed the board originally because I assumed it was damaged......Thought I inserted a battery in reverse polarity and fried the board. Turned out to be a fault in the twin-9 volt battery box, which I've now bypassed. Anyway, when everything else is done, I might go back to the channel 3 board (which also lets me use the wireless receiver with the hot rodded antenna.

All in hopes that I won't have to tear the guitar apart again for many years....
    This will be my first string change since I built it in 2008-2009.

Last edited by spellcaster; 02-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've solved a couple of the issues, with the mid-boost switch and the three-way rotary tonebank. I found my supply of liquid electrical tape almost dried up, so there wasn't enough to insulate the whole floor of the cavity as I'd planned. I managed to scrape up enough to insulate the back side of the mid-boost module and it's switch, so it shouldn't be able to contact the shielding foil. I'm having a fair bit of difficulty seeing what the issue is with the pickup switching.....My sight just isn't good enough. I bought this as a prefab harness, so I've never been into the wiring before.....I was hoping it might be something straightforward such as a broken wire terminal that I'd find fairly easily, but it might be time to look for some outside assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    This will be my first string change since I built it in 2008-2009.

Holy moly- the same strings for 10 years!!!

Good luck with your troubleshooting, SC- unfortunately this is an area I know nothing about!

Thanks, dB. I've come to the conclusion that whatever's happening with that five-way switch is beyond me and my half-blind eyes. I've sent an inquiry about it to one of the few people I would trust to work on it. If I get back a negative response, the only thing I can think of to do is strip the harness out and rewire it with a standard volume/greasebucket tone circuit. I'd hate to lose all my series settings though, so hoping it doesn't come to that.

Yeah, new strings will be interesting. I remember it being brighter sounding when I boiled the strings two or three years ago. Unfortunately, the guitar played like a pig for weeks after I put it back together. I'm hoping it doesn't take weeks to settle in again after this is over. I'm finding this whole situation a bit traumatic.....Never had another guitar that played like this one.

Hey--if you have enough guitars & don't gig--those strings can last a while.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

My Thomastik Infelds last about a year of gigging and a couple years if not. I actually hate the sound of new strings, even my flatwound 13's sound way too bright the first time out

I actually might be changing some strings later today.
    I'll have to see which guitar's gone the longest-or is the worst sounding string-wise.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

It sounds like Mike's going to do the necessary work for me. Grateful to have found someone trustworthy and geographically close by.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It sounds like Mike's going to do the necessary work for me. Grateful to have found someone trustworthy and geographically close by.
    sometimes that is the best thing- get an expert to check it out...

strings for 10years?? wow!

I've never tried strings that can last a year. I actually wanted to try Elixirs and make it last, but I'm not sure if I want to. I like the tone and feel of fresh strings. but I sweat a lot, and my strings usually last a month.