Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mods you'd like to try

oh sure- some people keep the tone pegged at 10 and never touch it, which is fine. But their application is almost certainly very different from mine.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    oh sure- some people keep the tone pegged at 10 and never touch it, which is fine. But their application is almost certainly very different from mine.
    I used to do that, as I said--but now I prefer having more variety to my sound--depending on the song
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I actually used to do that when I was a teenager too. I thought bright was the only setting that sounded good. I wonder how many other feel that way.

Our tastes change, our ears change--all that sort of thing
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

and the music we play changes-----

and the music we play changes-----
    Well the two go hand in hand...

I'm mulling over a change to my Tele with the Toaster pickups. It needs the pickguard redone....The Antique Pearl guard I ordered came misfilled as Bright White Pearl twice, so I "antiqued" it myself with coffee. It worked, sort of, but over time, it's fading back to white, so I need to redo it.

Also, thinking about cutting it down to a Tuff Dog-style. I've never been happy with the skewed string-through holes on this POS Guitar Fetish body. I thought maybe being able to curve away the guard from the bridge might help to minimize that flaw.

This is sort of what I have in mind....

....and this is what I've got right now....

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

That could look cool...
    Not sure how it would work in regards to the skewing though.

Would exposure to the sun fade that PG?

Would exposure to the sun fade that PG?
    I don't think so. I've read a lot of different approaches to creating discoloration with the aim of relicing.

Fading from UV is certainly one approach, but I think it's less likely to make a marked difference on plastics, at least over the short term. I've heard of pickguards that show changes from stickers left on for extended periods of time, but it could take a long time. Also, recently read a thread from a guy who tried UV aging to turn a bright white guard into more of a parchment hue. All he got for his trouble was a warped guard.

I even tried the brown shoe dye approach that some guys use to create more of a vintage hue on overly-white maple necks. It worked...a bit....but the plastic doesn't have the porosity to retain much of it. I think I'll try the coffee thing again. Ultimately, I think the best approach long-term would be to buy a proper antique pearl guard when finances permit.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."