Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mods you'd like to try

I'd like to try a top loading tailpiece that also takes the strings into the body--so the tailpiece is embedded int he top--and the strings go in--but loaded from the top & then caught in the top--as opposed to stringing them through the body--for faster string changes.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I don't think so. I've read a lot of different approaches to creating discoloration with the aim of relicing.

Fading from UV is certainly one approach, but I think it's less likely to make a marked difference on plastics, at least over the short term. I've heard of pickguards that show changes from stickers left on for extended periods of time, but it could take a long time. Also, recently read a thread from a guy who tried UV aging to turn a bright white guard into more of a parchment hue. All he got for his trouble was a warped guard.

I even tried the brown shoe dye approach that some guys use to create more of a vintage hue on overly-white maple necks. It worked...a bit....but the plastic doesn't have the porosity to retain much of it. I think I'll try the coffee thing again. Ultimately, I think the best approach long-term would be to buy a proper antique pearl guard when finances permit.
    I have no idea if this would work but have you tried Rit dye in vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I have no idea if this would work but have you tried Rit dye in vinegar?
    I've never tried it. I remember reading something about using fabric dyes when I was looking for a way to amber-up an anemic maple neck. I never got around to trying it (because I couldn't figure out where to buy it) but it sounded like some guys were having success with it. Mind you, that was with wood, but I suspect dyes would probably work with plastic. It would be a bit of a science experiment trying to figure out the coloration.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I remember seeing in an old Guitar Player magazine I picked up at a used book store that had someone who designed a guitar with interchangeable fretboards--so you could have different woods (& synthetic ones)--plus fretless
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I've never tried it. I remember reading something about using fabric dyes when I was looking for a way to amber-up an anemic maple neck. I never got around to trying it (because I couldn't figure out where to buy it) but it sounded like some guys were having success with it. Mind you, that was with wood, but I suspect dyes would probably work with plastic. It would be a bit of a science experiment trying to figure out the coloration.
    Even if not Rit, there have got to be dyes out there that would be suitable for this- and dyes should be pretty cheap too