Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mods you'd like to try

Mods you'd like to try

After building about 15 or so guitars, I've tried a lot of things...some that worked out well, others that I wouldn't do again. There are still at least a couple of things I haven't gone near that interest me. I wondered if anybody has a "build wish-list" of mods they'd like to experiment with.

There's a couple of things for me....
    -I'd like to try the Strat blender-pot mod as a way of getting a bridge + neck pickup combination instead of doing the Gilmour mod using a switch. Unfortunately, both my current Strats have dedicated functions on the third knob (three-way rotary tone bank on the cherryburst, spin-a-split on the triburst) so I'll have to wait till I acquire another three pickup guitar.
    -And, I still have a morbid curiosity about zero-frets. I have a feeling there's a Zero-Glide nut in my future. I still haven't decided if I'd feel confident trying it myself or whether I should farm it out to someone more qualified. If I can do it myself, it would happen sooner.

So, what's on your build wish-list?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

If you want a zero fret, look around for an old Hagstrom- I'm certain mine had one.

The only thing on my mod wish list is a "bulletproof" archtop. Something you could take into all conditions outdoors without worrying about the guitar going out of tune, etc. I guess the only way to achieve this would be carbon fibre- but that is not a mod, it is a new guitar altogether.

After much A-B comparisons between my MIA Strat and Splattercaster, I want to upgrade the splattercaster from the dragonfire pups to a higher quality brand. the MIA is so much clearer. Lace Sensors maybe?
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

I would like a blend pot on a guitar--I have one on a bass--but I have different preferences soundwise on bass than guitar.
    And I'd still have a toggle switch as a kill switch--people have done stuff like that though.

I would also prefer a Master volume & separate tone control for each pickup--most guitars that do something like that have a master tone (& either a master volume or separate volumes--but with a blend pot a master volume makes more sense to me than a master tone--as I like to play with the tone controls for certain sounds...

I'm sure I could think of a few more...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I would like a blend pot on a guitar--I have one on a bass--but I have different preferences soundwise on bass than guitar.
    And I'd still have a toggle switch as a kill switch--people have done stuff like that though.

I would also prefer a Master volume & separate tone control for each pickup--most guitars that do something like that have a master tone (& either a master volume or separate volumes--but with a blend pot a master volume makes more sense to me than a master tone--as I like to play with the tone controls for certain sounds...

I'm sure I could think of a few more...
    My gigging guitar has a master volume- I use it all the time on jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    My gigging guitar has a master volume- I use it all the time on jobs.
    It would be much more useful for me than a master tone--I often have different tone settings for my pickups
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

That would be very annoying if you switch between pickups a lot.

My X-500 has a volume and tone control for each PU plus the master volume.

That would be very annoying if you switch between pickups a lot.

My X-500 has a volume and tone control for each PU plus the master volume.
    I prefer a volume & tone control for each--but if that is not possible I would prefer a master volume over a master tone--but most guitars that have a master for one and separate for the other do it the other way

Master tone doesn't seem especially useful

Master tone doesn't seem especially useful
    Maybe for those that rarely use the tone control.
    But some of them would be okay with no tone control.
    (Which once upon a time was me.)