Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Suggestions?

I want to solve an issue that's an outgrowth of a repair I did a few months ago.

When I had a tuner fail, I scrambled to find a replacement, and finally, in desperation, bought a single used gold tuner on eBay. Problem is, the hardware on the guitar's black and the gold tuner bugs me more as time goes on.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with it. I have the black tuning knob (which is allen-keyed in place) from the original black tuner so I can swap it and black out the rear of the headstock. I just can't decide on how to make it look right on the front side. I briefly considered painting it, but since there are moving parts, I suspect I might freeze the lock knob in place. I'm also not sure black paint will stick to gold plating. And, I inquired about powder-coating, but it can't be done because there's no way to separate the tuner components.

So, the question is: What other options are there? I've wondered if I could find a plastic cap to fit over the tuner. Plastic would have the advantage of being paintable in satin black. I've been looking for a suitable size cap, but so far without success. I'm thinking a small medicine bottle cap, maybe. Any suggestions?

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Axellent Member
    What kind of tuner is it. I have never seen those before.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I actually like it--it sets off the logo colour as well.
    So I say--leave it & learn to deal with it.

When I first put new pickups in my Les Paul (I got it used & the previous owner had switched out the pickups--I wanted different ones)
    I tend not to like cream plastic on a guitar and for the pickups I wanted to use I could only find them in black & cream coils--not two black ones.
    I thought about getting covers, but I left them and over time got used to them--and grew to love the look.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'd carefully paint the surface making sure the paint does not go into the moving part contact points

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I'd carefully paint the surface making sure the paint does not go into the moving part contact points
    I like the thought of paint because I think black satin would match well, but I'm skeptical that paint will bond well to the gold.

My latest brainstorm was to maybe find a black plastic guitar knob that I could dremel the back side out of, so it would just slide over the front of the tuner as a cap. I looked through my parts bin, but Strat, Gibson, and witchhat knobs aren't wide enough. A Tele knob might work, but the only spares I've got are gold metal. I also looked at car stereo knobs which are really close to the right size. If I can't find anything better, I might try that. I don't think I can ever learn to love the gold, lol.

My original plan was to use the black low-E tuner to replace the high-E broken one, and then buy a black drop-D tuner for the bass string. That plan kinda went out the window when I looked at prices. So, I'm looking for something cheaper- a champagne solution on a beer budget.....

If you want paint to stick to that I would scuff it up real good with 220 then use a self etching primer then black. Even so it will scratch easy but it won't peel.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I was going to say that too- sand the gold finish as best you can

I'm having a different idea, sort of. I wonder if I should try coating it in Liquid Electrical Tape. I use the stuff as an insulator inside copper foiled cavities, and it has some properties that might lend themselves to this: It seems to cling to copper foil, which is a relatively smooth surface, and it's rubberized, which means I could probably use a fine blade to sever the lock knob from the tuner shaft (eliminating my painted-together fear), and I've discovered that it's possible to strip it off, peeling in large pieces. I've had to strip it out of pickup and control cavities a few times and it comes out nicely, so this is a reversible mod if I don't like it. I suspect it's a bit duller black that regular black guitar hardware, but it can probably be painted satin black if I like it. Thinking it over, but this might happen tomorrow.....

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm having a different idea, sort of. I wonder if I should try coating it in Liquid Electrical Tape. I use the stuff as an insulator inside copper foiled cavities, and it has some properties that might lend themselves to this: It seems to cling to copper foil, which is a relatively smooth surface, and it's rubberized, which means I could probably use a fine blade to sever the lock knob from the tuner shaft (eliminating my painted-together fear), and I've discovered that it's possible to strip it off, peeling in large pieces. I've had to strip it out of pickup and control cavities a few times and it comes out nicely, so this is a reversible mod if I don't like it. I suspect it's a bit duller black that regular black guitar hardware, but it can probably be painted satin black if I like it. Thinking it over, but this might happen tomorrow.....
    That might work--but I still say--leave it--and there should be a poll...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I started to get ready to do this project and discovered that my can of Liquid Electrical tape has deteriorated. It's not completely dried out, but it's gotten thick and gooey. I probably can use it for a cavity insulator in a guitar, but I think it's past the point of practical for the tuner. I looked on the can to see if there was something mentioned about thinning it, but there's not. What I did see was directions to close the container with a pair of pliers. (Guess that's why you're supposed to read the directions first, lol) Anyway, if you ever use this stuff, be sure the can's closed air-tight. So, this adventure is on the back-burner until finances are better.....