Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I spent my turkey weekend

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Why not throw a 5 way in that one too?
    Nah, I just got rid of a five-way switch with that horrible Torres harness that was in there previously. I gave some thought to using a four-way, but I honestly don't think I'd use the series position much. (I've always found the fourth series position resulted in a volume boost that made it much louder than the other three positions, so it's less usable than the individual and parallel positions). Also, I don't think a normal Strat five-way switch works well in a two pickup guitar.....You pretty much have to have a big multi-contact super-switch to do series or out-of-phase wiring configurations, even if I thought I'd find them useful. The name of the game here is to keep it simple.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Simple?
    On/switches?
    Pan pot?

Or would those be more complicated?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Nah, I just got rid of a five-way switch with that horrible Torres harness that was in there previously. I gave some thought to using a four-way, but I honestly don't think I'd use the series position much. (I've always found the fourth series position resulted in a volume boost that made it much louder than the other three positions, so it's less usable than the individual and parallel positions). Also, I don't think a normal Strat five-way switch works well in a two pickup guitar.....You pretty much have to have a big multi-contact super-switch to do series or out-of-phase wiring configurations, even if I thought I'd find them useful. The name of the game here is to keep it simple.
    makes sense... I'd throw a 5 way in my tele if I used it a lot but I really don't

just for disclosure I have switches on my Mustang & a pan pot on my fretless bass

I like both of those--but also regular 3 way & 5 way switches (But no guitars or basses with 5 way switches)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm committed to staying with a lever switch so that it fits the control panel configuration. A standard five-way won't work, I don't want a four-way because I don't really want or need the series position, so it's going to be a three-way.

I've considered a couple of options....In addition to the standard neck+parallel+bridge arrangement, the three-way switch can be wired neck+series+bridge, or it can be wired single pickup+parallel+series. I've used all these combinations in the past and they all have merit.

The deciding factor was lurking on the Rickenbacker forum long enough to get a sense that Ric Toasters are pretty much always used in parallel. So, the Tele will be a standard neck+parallel+bridge arrangement.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm committed to staying with a lever switch so that it fits the control panel configuration. A standard five-way won't work, I don't want a four-way because I don't really want or need the series position, so it's going to be a three-way.

I've considered a couple of options....In addition to the standard neck+parallel+bridge arrangement, the three-way switch can be wired neck+series+bridge, or it can be wired single pickup+parallel+series. I've used all these combinations in the past and they all have merit.

The deciding factor was lurking on the Rickenbacker forum long enough to get a sense that Ric Toasters are pretty much always used in parallel. So, the Tele will be a standard neck+parallel+bridge arrangement.
    I like having an option for series/parallel---have it on a couple of guitars.