Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I spent my turkey weekend

How I spent my turkey weekend

I'm starting to go back to previous builds and fine-tune any issues that I've noticed over time. I've never been happy with the wiring or the geometry of my Tele Janglecaster. I ended up pulling out the complete Torres BlueTone harness, so I started fresh with a different control plate, a 250K volume and a greasebucket tone circuit, and a Tele three way switch. I also changed the pickguard to a different shape that make the deficiencies in the GFS body less apparent.

I still haven't played it but I'm expecting it to sound fine. I spent weeks OCD-ing about the red sparkle pickguard, and finally decided to give it a try. It turned out better than I anticipated.

If this turns out sounding good, I might replace the Gotoh SD91 tuners, which are really poor. I have a set of locking Sperzels that I'm prepared to rob off another unfinished build.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Good to see it has progressed & you figured some stuff out.
    Whether or not you replace the machine heads--enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving guys!
    Thanks--I had turkey on Sunday evening & then today as leftovers--so far so good...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm starting to go back to previous builds and fine-tune any issues that I've noticed over time. I've never been happy with the wiring or the geometry of my Tele Janglecaster. I ended up pulling out the complete Torres BlueTone harness, so I started fresh with a different control plate, a 250K volume and a greasebucket tone circuit, and a Tele three way switch. I also changed the pickguard to a different shape that make the deficiencies in the GFS body less apparent.

I still haven't played it but I'm expecting it to sound fine. I spent weeks OCD-ing about the red sparkle pickguard, and finally decided to give it a try. It turned out better than I anticipated.

If this turns out sounding good, I might replace the Gotoh SD91 tuners, which are really poor. I have a set of locking Sperzels that I'm prepared to rob off another unfinished build.
    Looks good, SC!

So have you had a chance to play it then?
    Or more pictures to share?

I always enjoy the pictures you share...

That is a really cool axe Spell I love it!
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Thanks, I'm fairly happy with it. I have one glitch to solve......The three way switch is dead in the middle (parallel) position. A bit ironic because what I wanted most from this refurbishing was to hear the two pickups together, which it still won't do. I have lots of five-ways, but I need to order a new three-way switch for it. This has always been a nice player (97 Strat Protone neck) and at this point, I'm satisfied with everything but the Gotoh tuners. I'm going to install the locking Sperzels on it, but it won't be for a couple of weeks. I'm retiring again at the end of the month, so I'm saving up a few projects to keep busy once I've got more time on my hands.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I don't often use both pickups together--except on my Mustang & fretless bass--but with that guitar's pickups--I would probably use both as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Thanks, I'm fairly happy with it. I have one glitch to solve......The three way switch is dead in the middle (parallel) position. A bit ironic because what I wanted most from this refurbishing was to hear the two pickups together, which it still won't do. I have lots of five-ways, but I need to order a new three-way switch for it. This has always been a nice player (97 Strat Protone neck) and at this point, I'm satisfied with everything but the Gotoh tuners. I'm going to install the locking Sperzels on it, but it won't be for a couple of weeks. I'm retiring again at the end of the month, so I'm saving up a few projects to keep busy once I've got more time on my hands.

Why not throw a 5 way in that one too?