Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 114 of 114

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

  1. #111
    Axe-honerated spellcaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duncan, British Columbia, Canada
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,141
    I finally decided to try and finish the Tele. I was shocked when I looked back at my last post about it and realized that was June. Anyway, dragged it out today, finished and mounted the pickguard, and finished the wiring. It's taken all day, lol.....My eyes are so bad that I work for fifteen minutes or so, with eye glasses, magnifying glass, and magnifier lamp, and then my vision is pooched for an hour or more. Anyway, calling it a day. Tomorrow, I'll finish mounting the bridge and control panel, and do a quick bench test before I string it up and start the setup.

    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

  2. #112
    Super Moderator die Bullen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westfield, NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    24,995
    Godness how time flies...

  3. #113
    Axe-honerated Keletcaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Abbotsford British Columbia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,261
    Good job buddy.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

  4. #114
    Axe-honerated spellcaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duncan, British Columbia, Canada
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,141
    Thanks, KC.

    I'm going through periods of liking and detesting this guitar. Using that screwed up GFS body has really come back to bite me in the butt. After hours and hours of work, I've got it together looking fairly correct from the front....It's lost that cockeyed look. However, the string ferrule holes don't line up nicely with the holes in the bridge plate. I spent 'way too much time just threading the strings through the body. If this was going to be a long term keeper, I'd probably route a Delisle ferrule bar in place of the individual ferrule holes. That's the only fix I can think of that'd make it ultimately right - But I don't want to invest more money in what's now a losing proposition.

    A new little ugly issue showed up after it was strung. The new pickguard is a really tight fit between the neck pocket and the bridge. It was very happy and a precise fit that didn't seem to even want mounting screws along the top edge. Suddenly, as soon as there was string tension, it shows a suggestion of buckling. I guess there's a phase II adjustment in store for the pickguard.

    The other thing that I'm not really happy about is the sound of the Proline P90's. The multimeter was telling me that the pickup with higher output should go at the bridge position, but the screw spacing (narrower) suited the neck position. And the lower output pickup had the correct physical spacing for the bridge position. My initial impressions when I plugged it in was that there was not only a fairly discrepancy in output level, but also that the bridge pickup sounded okay (although not very P90-ish), but the neck pickup was completely muddy sounding. There's a possibility that some tweaking may help....The pickups are both set low, at body height, and they might be able to raise up very slightly. Also, there's the screw slugs in the pickups that could be adjusted a bit.

    I need to back away from this one for a couple of days. I still haven't set the action and intonation, but I'm leaving that till the guitar settles in a bit.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •