Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    The guitar next to your amp reminds me on my first Tele.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sonic3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	4343
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sonic1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	4344

I thought maybe I'd change the tone control in the Tele (Q-filter to regular pot and capacitor) but I'm scrambling to find parts. I seem to have bunches of oddball caps and resistors, because it was generally cheaper to buy a 50 pack on eBay than one piece locally. I'm guessing these might be left over from converting 1 meg pots to 500's in my red Duosonic. Anyway, they're of little or no value for what I need now. I can't seem to find a stockpile of 4.7's or 2.2's to build a simple high-pass. I did find a control board out of a Les Paul that's got 500K pots in it and a pair of small green gumdrops that I can't identify. They look physically like 4.7's, but they only have one cryptic number on them: 223M50. I'm wondering if I could use one of these gumdrops and one of the 500K pots as a tone control. Anybody know what the value is on these and if they're suitable?

Last edited by spellcaster; 12-03-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm qiute sure that these are 2.2s. The third number (3) determins: 2.2 Farad divided by (10x10x10). When I'm right these can take 50 volts.

What's the q-filter's purpose? Does it smack the quack out of a strat?
    Last edited by French Army Knife; 12-04-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by French Army Knife View Post
    I'm qiute sure that these are 2.2s. The third number (3) determins: 2.2 Farad divided by (10x10x10). When I'm right these can take 50 volts.

What's the q-filter's purpose? Does it smack the quack out of a strat?
    Thanks, FAK. I'm assuming that 2.2mf with a 500K tone pot will be okay then?

Q-filter

I found the Q-filter's effect was quite subtle and felt like a regular tone control would be more useful. Also, that 1" cube's a tight fit in a Tele control cavity.

Yes, 0.022uF and 500K is the standard Gibson approach to compensate for the darker and a little mushier sounding humbuckers. Strats normally use 0.047uF (micro Farad) and 250k pots. With 'standard' Tele pickups I found that I like 0.033 uF caps and 250K pots best.

Check out the in-series-while-out-of-phase tone in combination with an overdrive pedal! To engage that with one switch or push-pull pot can be a great thing to have (your rather hot bridge pickup is just right for this).
    Last edited by French Army Knife; 12-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.

I discovered that Gibson pot I'm using is linear. Hope that's going to work out okay. Online info is conflicted with some claiming linear's the better choice and some claiming audio/log pots are the only way to go. There's also arguments about using audio for one and linear for the other. I've decided I need to try it firsthand.

I'm a happy camper. Finished putting it together and it sounds better than I expected. Something about loading the pickups with the second 500K has opened it up tonewise. I think I can finally call this one done.

I've been sizing up what should be my next project. I decided maybe the next victim on the workbench should be my full size bass. It needs some finessing of the pickguard, plus I'm thinking that, for resale's sake, maybe I should add some controls.

Controls could help with resale.
    At the very least
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Nice - a new project.

That's a lovely 50y-ish pickguard you have there. But I bet it wants to sit on a butterscotch or vintage white guitar whereas your bass prefers a greyish or greenish or yellowish (can't tell right now) white pickguard.

Yes, add a tone control. Jazz Basses use 250k pots and .047 capacitors, shouldn't it be the same with p-basses? A push-pull tone pot could let you switch between .047 and .022 caps.