Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

I had to do a string change today, which isn't something I do very often - I've got guitars with ten year old strings that sound fine and have never needed replacement. However, I had the P90 Tele on the "workbench" and could see black spots on the brand new strings I installed a couple of days ago. This has been an issue with several sets in a row.....I bought two big bulk packs of Gibson Brite Wires from Long & McQuade a couple of years ago, and have corrosion on most of them. Unfortunately, too much time has passed to take them back. It really goes against the grain, but I just through out five sets of new strings.

Anyway, with a prospective buyer coming to see the Tele this week, I decided I should change them. Luckily, Best Buy is open New Years Day, so I just went and bought a new set of Brite Wires .010's and will put them on tonight. Just for fun, I looked at the guitars while I was there and was blown away by how cheap they're getting. A new Squier Jazzmaster is 200.00, and if I wasn't determined to thin my herd of guitars, it might have followed me home.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Maybe you've noticed this before, but it's the first time I've experienced it first-hand. I changed the strings on the Tele only a few days ago. I set the action and also did a meticulous intonation using my Peterson Strobe tuner. Today, I changed the strings again (same brand and gauge) and five of the six saddles needed adjustment when I checked intonation. The only conclusion I could draw is that there's something different in the way they're been manufactured. It makes me think that a person would be well-advised to check intonation every time they changed strings.

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    I too have that going on from time to time and wish I knew the reason. I. suspect the windings on the wound strings temporarily getting stuck at the nut or somewhere at the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It makes me think that a person would be well-advised to check intonation every time they changed strings.
    I do--it rarely needs re-adjustment--but i check it--at least a quick check.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Well, the prospective buyer of the Tele hasn't called. I need to be finding something else to do.

I've got a couple of things to do on the red Tele bass. I still intend to find something to upholster the pickguard, and I'll be shopping in the next day or two. One of the things that's been problematic is that I'm anticipating problems in color-matching. (You wouldn't believe how tough red can be) I've decided to disassemble the neck from the body to do something to tame down that overly-white maple, so while it's apart (and easier to take into a store) I'll take the body with me and go shopping.

I'm torn about how to deal with the neck finish. I'm toying with the idea of Kiwi-ing the neck to turn it golden. I wouldn't do this if I intended to keep the bass long-term, but it's going to be for sale as soon as it's finished. The other option would be to stain it. I still have the Puritan Pine stain that I used on the neck of the small Tele bass. It looked not bad, but it doesn't have the amber quality of what you'd expect to see on a vintage Fender neck. I'm leaning toward Kiwi at the moment. Any thoughts?

How much are you hoping to get for that bass? I reckon you should work in some Kiwi (slightly).

Quote Originally Posted by French Army Knife View Post
    How much are you hoping to get for that bass? I reckon you should work in some Kiwi (slightly).
    I'm figuring this'll turn out to be a 100.00 bass when it's done. I'm still waffling over the Kiwi polish. I did more research on the subject today and my health concerns still stand. One of the solvents in Kiwi polish is carcinogenic and it seems so wrong to treat a guitar with it when you know it's going to be in constant contact with your hands. There are also components in the dyes used in Kiwi that cause cancer in animals. When I read about this online, there are lots of people that take the attitude that almost anything causes cancer if you use it often enough. I have trouble with that attitude.

Oh, I did not that. Over here we have Kiwi products for shoe care. It's probably the same company. But for a 100 I would not hustle with a lquer finish. Although I in general don't like oil finishes on instruments I once put on teinted hard oil (Clou Hartöl) onto a neck. Turned out to be nice and laquer-like and th process was as easy as pie.

I bought fabric today to upholster the pickguard. I spent a couple of hours looking through a 15,000 sq ft fabric store, but couldn't find a single thing in red that would match with the body. I eventually was shopped-out and settled for a small-patterned black. That's probably on my to-do list for tomorrow. I intended to pick up some rubber gloves and do the Kiwi on the neck tonight, but was so long in the fabric store that I forgot. So that's also a to-do for tomorrow. I just want this finished so I can move on to something else......

I've done a bunch more reading on the Kiwi process tonight. One of the things I've learned more about is that the stain will "take" differently on edges where there's end grain. I've gone over the whole headstock so far, sanding with 1000 to complete knocking the finish off. Parts of the headstock had to be sanded originally when I changed the contour of the headstock from Precision to Tele, and I decided I had to knock the rest of it off because parts with the satin finish will stain to a different color. I'm going to sand the rest of the back of the neck tomorrow so it'll look more even. Also, finally found an article which recommends masking off the rosewood board, which most people don't talk about. Have also found a suggestion that it's possible to heat the finish to make the dyes from the polish cure better, and a tip that if there are dark patches due to grain irregularities, methyl hydrate will lighten those spots up. This is way more science than I expected in what should be a simple process. Glad I'm trying this on a neck that I'm not really attached to......