Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

The stovetop's a busy place right now. I finished sanding the back of the neck and I've masked with Frog tape to seal off the fretboard. Tough job when a person almost can't see.....It's hard to hold a magnifying glass when you're masking, lol.

I've got my disposable gloves ready, my can of Kiwi Brown, and as soon as I find rag to apply it, I'm going to forge ahead. I'm led to believe that this may take as much as 5 - 7 applications, so this'll probably run into tomorrow. One of the benefits of working on the stovetop is that ventilation's not a problem. Just turn the range hood on low and you're stylin'

On a slightly different note, I spend more time than the average bear poring over guitar forums. I came across something last night that I've never heard before to tint necks. One professional relicer and restorer uses tea to stain into the grain. The big plus is that the necks don't acquire that almost orange-hue that you can get if you overdo Kiwi. It involves breaking open the teabags, spooning the grounds onto the wood and then work it into the grain - always lengthwise along the grain, and applied with rags or popsicle sticks. The biggest potential problem is that because you're going to be putting moisture to the headstock, it's vitally important that the holes be masked. I didn't select this method because I've got a lot of potential spots where moisture could get in - tuner holes, string tree screwhole, edges of the fret slots, etc. I thought it was interesting though so I wanted to pass it on.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

One of the conflicting bits of information on the net concerns how long to leave the Kiwi on before buffing or applying another coat. Many people say only a few minutes, but one person (who sounded very credible) said the color will appear minimal at first, but overnight it cures in and looks darker the next day. Time I've got lots of, so I'm going wait till tomorrow to look at it again and decide if I need another coat.

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    I'm curious how this comes out!

Once I tried (in vain) to stain a strat pickguard with black-tea-soup that I applied again and again. Here's my spoon that I stirr Coffee and tea with before I add milk:

sorry can't upload a pic. Seems like the same problem as KC's. How did you manage to insert your latest stovetop picture?
    Last edited by French Army Knife; 01-12-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by French Army Knife View Post
    I'm curious how this comes out!

Once I tried (in vain) to stain a strat pickguard with black-tea-soup that I applied again and again. Here's my spoon that I stirr Coffee and tea with before I add milk:

sorry can't upload a pic. Seems like the same problem as KC's. How did you manage to insert your latest stovetop picture?
    I don't seem to have any issues uploading pics. I have my photos in cloud storage on VGY.

I haven't really got my eyes open yet (tough night sleeping) but at first glance, it seems to have turned out okay. I think it'll be dark enough without another treatment.

Well, the neck turned out better than I expected. It took very little time to polish it and it looks better than it's got any right to. I've got the neck screwed back onto the body, and tuners and string tree remounted. There's been no perceivable change in the way the back of the neck feels....No waxiness, and it's just as easy to slide your hand on as it was before. I'd like to post a picture, but I'm having camera problems (SD card failure again) so it'll have to wait.

I've still got the pickguard to finish and a bit of setup to check, but it's close to be being done.

I'm in the midst of gluing the fabric. It's been a few years since I've tried this and I'd forgotten just how difficult it is. The air's been blue a few times. lol. I predrilled the rest of the mounting holes for the guard because I didn't want to use a drill afterward and take a chance on snagging the material. Also masked most of the back side of the guard so it won't glue itself to the body, leaving just a 3/8" border around the edges to wrap the fabric. Hopefully I've thought ahead and addressed the issues. Now, just a question of waiting for the sprayable contact cement to go off. Cross your fingers......

Okay, fabric is done. The only thing remaining is (to me) the toughest....I need to remount the controls and wire it up. A couple of hours to rest my eyes and I'll be able to tackle it. This is looking like it might get finished tonight.

The wiring's done, the pickguard's mounted, the bridge is back in place, and it's ready for strings and setup. I'm done for the night - my eyes are just too bagged to put in any more time, so it's time to put my feet up and relax. It's been a productive day, although it's taken much longer than it should. Tomorrow, we'll see how it sounds. I think I've got one of my cameras working, so I'll put up some pics when it's all together.

Looking good--I like the pickguard
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.