Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I tried playing it a couple of days ago, but there's a nasty buzz when I play the open low E. I can tell it's in the bridge or saddle but haven't narrowed it down yet....
    Hopefully that will be easy to isolate- It can really only be one of two things

I kinda got sidetracked this past weekend, what with the forum stuff and all. I need to get back to the Strat, which has been stalled for a few days. Meantime, my parcel of guitar parts arrived in today's mail, so I've got the goodies to build a new control plate for the Tele Thinline. Time to fire up the stove-top
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Time for some down home cookin'!

I'm planning on building the new Thinline harness this weekend. I've been kicking around the idea of converting the tone pot into something else. I have a Bill Lawrence Q-Filter that I bought with the unfinished offset in mind, but I think I'll use it on the Thinline with a Fender 250K no-load pot. I've been talking with some guys over on the Rickenbacker forum and I think the Q-Filter will work out well with the Toaster pickups.

I've been listening to online demos of the Q-Filter. It certainly makes a difference with single coil pickups, but I'm particularly impressed with how much more refined and articulate humbuckers sound with the Q-Filter. Just for fun, here's a demo. The guy's not an accomplished player and the guitar is horribly out of tune, but this gives a good idea of what to expect.....

How much do those Q filters go for, SC?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    How much do those Q filters go for, SC?
    I think they're about 30.00.

I spent several hours building a fresh control panel for the Tele. I went back to the flamed Custom Shop Parts plate, added the DiMarzio special taper volume pot, and the Fender no-load pot for the Lawrence Q-Filter. It's frustrating to me that this should be so simple, but because my eyes are so bad, it took hours.....It's like soldering by braille.

Anyway, got it all together and heaved a sigh of relief that the guitar's finally done. That's when I discovered that the guitar seemed dead when I tested it. I spent lots of time chasing my tail before I finally realized that the patchcord was bad. Tested with a different cable, and it works. I'm busy trying to resolder the original cable back together.

The guitar sounds pretty good, although not all that I hoped. There's less top end than I expected, and the effect of the Q Filter is more subtle than my expectations. Overall though, the Tele's more playable than it's ever been, given the better Sperzel tuners, and also the new three way Oak-Grigsby switch which has finally let me hear the Ric Toasters playing in parallel.

At some point in the future, I might decide to upgrade to a four-way switch. I generally find the sound of humbuckers too thick and lacking clarity, but after hearing how the Q Filter demos made buckers come alive, I might be interested in trying it again.

I might take the rest of this weekend to relax, but I'll get back to the red Strat by next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I spent lots of time chasing my tail before I finally realized that the patchcord was bad.
    Don't you hate when stupid things like that happens? I thought I has a bad preamp tube on a job once and realized it was the stupid cable failing