Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

I would re fret that for you no problem bud. Just have to get the neck over to me and I will take care of that. To be honest I can't see that neck being that wore out. I'm thinking a level and dress will do it.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I spent some time this morning playing the Duosonic. It's definitely not working for me. The action's high enough that it's high effort, and it feels stiffer....maybe the increased break angle from raising the saddles. It's going to need fretwork to get back where it used to be.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I spent this morning on another wild goose chase. A little while back, I started getting a nasty ground buzz/noise floor when the Twin was idling. Today I finally stripped it down, did some tapping with a chopstick, and re-and-re'ed all the preamp tubes. When I put it all back together, the noise was gone. Happy to have the issue solved, but I wish I knew what had been wrong and what fixed it. The joys of having an old tube amp......

I've ended up finding a local luthier who's going to do a refret on the Duosonic. Since it's going to need a new nut, I decided to order a Zero Glide and have the tech install it before doing a setup that's included as part of the refret process. I'm fairly enthused with the idea of a zero fret, and the lower action that's possible with it. I'll check back and try to do a bit of a review after it's done. I think it's possible I could install a Zero Glide myself rather than farming it out, so if it turns out to be a good thing, I'll try it myself next time.

I wanted to put in a plug for Arkansas Musicworks. I ordered a Zero Glide from them on the 11th and received it on the 18th. It's pretty rare to get that kind of service from the southern US to Vancouver Island, so I'm pretty impressed. I dropped the zero fret off at the luthier's this morning, so now it's "Hurry up and wait". I know he's ordered some small fretwire for me, so hopefully it'll be in soon. I haven't even asked when the guitar will be ready.....I don't want a guy doing this kind of surgery for me to feel rushed.

I've been looking for something else to tinker with and I think I've settled on a project - As much as I love my Rickenbacker Toasters, I haven't found a solution to the problem of getting them up close enough to the strings. They're designed to be top-mounted on an archtop, and they don't work well mounted through a pickguard and a Tele bridge. I've decided to take them out of the Tele and either find an archtop to install them in, or possibly sell or trade them. I've settled on a pair of humbucker-sized P90's that I had squirreled away and had forgotten about. I need a set of very thin chrome humbucker trim rings for them. I had notched the sides of the bridge cutout to accomodate the Toasters, and I need a ring at the neck pickup to hide the oversize pickguard cutout. I'll be able to order the rings next week, so that project's on standby.

I'm going to put new strings on my acoustic this weekend. (This is a big event for me......I generally change a guitar's strings every few years) My landlord's liquidating an estate and he's ended up with a lot of musical odds and ends. He gave me a capo this other day, and today he tossed me a new set of strings. I normally like Gibson Brite Wires .010's on everything, but the strings he gave me are Fender 70XL phosphor bronze .010's, so they're really only suited to the Fender acoustic. I can't even find them online - Discontinued maybe? The packaging looks years old, and they were priced at 12.95, lol.

I started installing those Fender strings last weekend and discovered the D string was missing. I ended up installing another new set of Gibson Brite Wires .010's.

I got a call from the tech yesterday saying that he'd just received the vintage fret wire and would be starting the job soon. Interestingly, he says it looks like the old frets need to be pounded out sideways. I'd been under the impression that Fender's fretting technique had been changed in the 60's and that a 1971 neck should be the more common modern technique.

He also told me that he figured he'd be able to intonate it with all the saddle springs back in place. I'm surprised but pleased, and I dropped them off for him this morning. I'm really looking forward to this being finished.

I had a weird thing happen a few days ago to my red Strat. The neck position of the pickup switch went dead.....No sound, nothing registering at the output jack with a meter. I started tapping the various magnets on all the pickups, and at one point the screwdriver I was magnet-tapping with touched one of the strings. There was a snapping noise through the amp, and suddenly everything works fine. I haven't been able to make it fail again. I've had a series of issues over the past while where gremlins started and then self-corrected for no reason. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Welcome to the Twilight Zone.
    Hmm, a Rod Serling inspired guitar?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

It's a sad day. I'm hemorrhaging financially, and just had to list two of my basses for sale. I hate to do it, but sometimes there are priorities that can't be overlooked.

(Edited to ad) I can't believe the response on the Gibson. Five minutes after I posted the ad, I had a buyer on the way to see it, and seven more potential buyers lined up behind him.
    Last edited by spellcaster; 04-27-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Well, the Gibson's sold. I wish I hadn't had to do it, but it was necessary. At least I've still got three left, if I ever join a band again.

I was amazed at the response....Seven people lined up to buy it, and I'd had an offer 100.00 over the asking price, and another 200.00 over the asking price. I wish I'd been a little less ethical, but I sold it for the advertised price to the first guy that responded to the ad and showed up to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Well, the Gibson's sold. I wish I hadn't had to do it, but it was necessary. At least I've still got three left, if I ever join a band again.

I was amazed at the response....Seven people lined up to buy it, and I'd had an offer 100.00 over the asking price, and another 200.00 over the asking price. I wish I'd been a little less ethical, but I sold it for the advertised price to the first guy that responded to the ad and showed up to look at it.
    First one to show up with cash gets it--make s sense...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.