Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

I heard back from the luthier this morning. The Duosonic's finished and I can pick it up later this afternoon. He had quoted 270.00 for the refret and told me it would be an extra 60.00 if he had to carve a bone nut. I ended up providing him with the Zero Glide instead and expected him to tack an extra 30.00 or more for installing it, but there was no extra charge, which was great. I hope the quality of the work is good. He's impressed me in terms of professionalism and the timely way he handled the job. I can hardly wait!
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Cool--also good to have someone like that if you need someone to do work on your gear...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Cool--also good to have someone like that if you need someone to do work on your gear...
    Yeah, because there're things that are beyond my sight ability these days. To have somebody that's local and reliable is a bonus. I contacted one of our other AxeTalkers that's local (Frostman) to let him know about this guy, but it turns out he had an acoustic in there for some work about three weeks ago, with good results.

I still haven't spent a lot of time with the guitar, but I've played enough to be favorably impressed with the Zero Glide nut. The tech strung the finished guitar in .09's which is smaller than what I normally use......I'm not sure if I'm going to like them, but I'll give it a day or two, and if there's not enough spring tension, I'll change to Gibson Brite Wires .010's. This Duosonic is a top-loader, it's already a bit loose feeling.

I got the new chrome pickup rings for the Tele today. I'm blown away because they were expected to arrive from China in early July. I wish the eBay ad had mentioned that the chrome screws were included. I assumed I was going to need them, so spent most of ten bucks to order them from a different supplier. Anyway, I'll be able to start the pickup change tomorrow.

I was looking forward to a project that was a straightforward bolt-together (for a change, lol) but it's turned a bit strange. The Proline P90's are distinct neck and bridge models, with screw spacings to fit....narrower at the neck, wider at the bridge. What's weird is that the wider (bridge) pickup has longer leads and is 7.2K, while the narrower (neck) pickup has shorter leads and is 10.2K. This, me, seems bass-ackwards....Shouldn't the bridge pickup be hotter? If I reverse the pickups, the string spacing will be monkey-matched. I don't know enough about pickup design to be sure, but I'd think that with a P90, where the screw heights can be matched to the string radius, the alignment might be more crucial than it would on a conventional single coil design. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

The other little surprise was that the chrome trims don't fit properly. The corners of the cutout are too rounded, so they'd need to be squared, plus the long sides need to be touched up with a file before the pickups will pass through. I know that if I do it, it'll be a slow, painstaking job. What I don't know is whether the rings will become too thin at the corners and become fragile. I suspect these rings would be a good choice for open-top humbuckers, but don't work worth a darn on pickups with covers. I chose these rings in particular because they were obviously better made with fine detail and superior chrome plating. I've looked again at buying something with squared corners, but all the ones I've found are too long, and the trim would overhang the sides of the bridge. I need to stew about this for a while.....

I decided to try modding the trims....No guts, no glory, right? It's proving to be really difficult, but I finally got one finished. The other one will need to be done tomorrow, because it's pretty noisy work using grinders after 8PM.

[IMG][/IMG]

I think it'll look fine. The trim covers a multitude of sins where I had to mod the bridge opening to install the Toasters. And, I kind of like the looks of that trim with the P90.

I got the second trim finished without incident. Then, things started to go wrong. I had a lot of difficulty trying locate the neck pickup cutout....partly trying to follow the previous toaster cutout on the pickguard, and partly trying to make it look right with the GFS body being so wildly out of alignment. I finally found a position that seemed to be a good compromise, and screwed the pickguard down to open the hole up. I got the cut done with the dremel and was doing some finish-filing when the pickguard broke at two of the corners where it was screwed down.

I had to throw up my hands and walk away. I've only got two more Tele guards left in stock....one clear, and one black.....Neither suitable, so I'm going to have to order one. More waiting time. Sometimes you just can't win.

That's a bummer. Sometimes there's setbacks for sure. I always sweat when cutting pickup holes. I have had as much trouble as triumph for sure.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    That's a bummer. Sometimes there's setbacks for sure. I always sweat when cutting pickup holes. I have had as much trouble as triumph for sure.
    Hey, misery loves company, lol.

I ordered a new pickguard this afternoon. I originally wanted aged pearl on this guitar, but the original supplier mistakenly sent me a white one. I tried tinting it but it didn't weather well. I replaced it with the red sparkle trimmed to Tuff Dog shape. I was only so-so happy with it, but it came out of my stock and free was a very good price at the time. Now, I'm going back to my original plan.....aged pearl with a humbucker cutout. It'll match the binding better than any guard I've had on there. I think I'll abbreviate the new guard to the Tuff Dog shape. I've reached a stage with this guitar where I just want it done and off my workspace.

I put up some ads for the Rickenbacker Toasters today. I don't own any archtops, so I'm never going to own anything that the pickups will fit properly.

I guess I need to find something different to work on while I'm waiting for the Tele pickguard. It might be time to dust off my offset project again......

Yahoo! I just sold my Rickenbacker Toasters. That sure happened quick. I know I'll miss them, and hopefully I'll be able to buy a Ric guitar in the future. The pickups went to a good home....The buyer owns three Ric six strings, a Ric 12 string, and a Ric bass.