Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

What's cookin' on Spellcaster's stovetop?

I was thinking about starting a "What's on the workbench" thread, but somehow the "What's on the stovetop" thread seemed more appropriate. I do all my guitar work on a piece of carpet over my kitchen stove (In the best bear-skins and stone-knives fashion, lol.)

Over time I've been fiddling with one of my Tele's and hopefully, this weekend I'll finish it up. I was saving this project until I was done work and re-retired, but that doesn't seem to be happening, so it's a long-weekend project.

I changed the pickguard and I think I'm satisfied for the moment. I changed out the Torres BluesTone harness for a standard 250K volume pot, a Fender No-Load Greasebucket circuit, a CRL 3-way switch, and a Fender control plate. I've got some issues....The three way is dead in the center (parallel) position, and the volume is doing strange things....Clockwise is volume up for the neck pickup and Counter-clockwise is volume up for the bridge pickup. I wouldn't have even thought it was possible using standard components, but welcome to the Twilight Zone. Anyway, I'm going to either diagnose and fix the wiring gremlin or build another new harness, and I think I'm going to go back to the Custom Shop Parts flamed control plate.

The first order of business is to solve the tuning instability though. I've never liked these Gotoh SD-91 vintage tuners, and they've got to go. I'm going to install the Sperzel locking tuners that are presently on my Duosonic. The Duosonic will end up with a set of tuners from an MIA Strat.

I'll need to go back and solve some of the extra holes from four sets of tuners that have been on the Duosonic,but it's done for now. It's time to get busy on the Tele. I've dismounted the Gotoh tuners (Good riddance!) and now I've got to drill the holes for the Sperzel mounting pins. This is one of the things I get nervous about. I don't have a mounting template for the Sperzels. Also, I just discovered that all my wood fillers have either dried up or developed mold, so I'm going to have to mount the tuners today and come back to fill the old tuner holes later.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I havent seen that tele for a while! Looks really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    I haven't seen that tele for a while! Looks really nice!
    Thanks, IAITB. I'm really looking forward to the upgrades. I bought the Rickenbacker Toasters years ago and I know they sound great individually, but I've never gotten to hear both pickups in parallel. Solving the wiring mystery is the missing link before it's done, so that'll be next.

The install of the Sperzel locking tuners is done. It was a bit tougher than I expected. Because the previous vintage tuners mounted with a screw between each machine head, there were holes almost exactly on the spot I needed to drill the locator pins in. Not close enough to use them for the new tuners, but so tight together that the drill bit kept trying wander into the old hole. I eventually got it done and was happy to see that the old tuner mounting holes are almost entirely covered.

Looks good, SC!

My the machanisms on those tuners look huge- I never had that kind of tuner

I just went through the wiring and it appears that the three-way switch is the problem. I have lots of five-ways, but no more three-ways in the parts drawer. I've contacted a guy who has a new DiMarzio three-way for sale locally. Hopefully I can make a deal on that tomorrow....Otherwise I'm looking at waiting days or weeks to order one online.

I caught the Star Trek reference

You seem to have issues with switches for some reason--at least one per build/mod...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I just went through the wiring and it appears that the three-way switch is the problem. I have lots of five-ways, but no more three-ways in the parts drawer. I've contacted a guy who has a new DiMarzio three-way for sale locally. Hopefully I can make a deal on that tomorrow....Otherwise I'm looking at waiting days or weeks to order one online.
    Doesn't the local store have them in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Doesn't the local store have them in stock?
    I haven't even checked, but I can't imagine them having any parts. Also, it's a holiday weekend, so they're closed. But, we're talking about a marginal music store that carries cheap POS guitars, consignment sales, and music lessons.....Not a real music store in any sense of the word.

But, we're talking about a marginal music store that carries cheap POS guitars, consignment sales, and music lessons.....Not a real music store in any sense of the word.
    Ah yes I am familiar with that kind of music store...

I haven't even checked, but I can't imagine them having any parts. Also, it's a holiday weekend, so they're closed. But, we're talking about a marginal music store that carries cheap POS guitars, consignment sales, and music lessons.....Not a real music store in any sense of the word.
    I have encountered those stores locally and when traveling
    Sometimes they're still fun if they have any oddball stuff
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.