Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for HB in the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
    Did the SD Lil '59 seem kind of muddy in the midrange Teleblooz? I've noticed comments about them online.
    Not so much muddy in the midrange as kind of harsh sounding overall. I couldn't seem to get any kind of smooth tone out of it. All of these SC-sized buckers are a compromise between a full-sized HB and a single-coil and I don't think my '59 really captured the desirable parts of either. When split, it sounded like a really wimpy SC, and in full mode it had a really kind of grating tone in the upper mids. The Dragonfire pup I ended up with has a noticeably smoother tone with just the right amount of added HB thickening. I don't know how it would perform in split mode because I opted not to wire it for the coil-split option this time.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

I was going to start a mod thread, and probably will, but just to let all concerned know that I got a Duncan JB. I hadn't considered it because it's a high output pickup but after listening to the clips on the SD site I thought it sounded the best out of all of them. Very clean with no exceptional high end or muddy mids.

I got all my parts, pg, knobs, etc, and am ready to start modding. Waiting for weather that will keep me inside..........gee, like today maybe. Raining cats and hairballs out there now.

For those of you that read my thread concerning this same guitar that I had trouble with the pups being soldered wrong a few months ago, after stripping off the pg and pups I realized I didn't wire anything wrong, I just put the neck pup in the mid position and the mid in the neck. What a clutz. What a marroon. How it happened is still a bit of a mystery but....

I've already started taking pics to document my efforts and mistakes but here's one to show why I wanted to mod this guitar again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	1357

As you can see the two are very much the same. If you couldn't see the Fender logo you probably couldn't tell them apart. It's a look I love but having two is kinda redundant.
    Stay tuned for the thread and more laughs and chuckles as I attempt to wire the JB split in the 2 position. Don't miss it!
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

That pic of twin Strats is giving me a tinge of Strat GAS. Too bad I just bought a Mackie board and JBL powered monitor yesterday.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

hi. what was the model name dragonfire sc pup that you got?

Quote Originally Posted by axel_. View Post
    hi. what was the model name dragonfire sc pup that you got?
    I believe it was their "Duo Rails" (they also have a hotter "Power Rails" version). I have one in my Strat and one in my Tele.

Custom Guitar Parts and Accessories. Everything you need to play!
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Put in a Duncan P-Rail and wire it for P-90/rail/both as a humbucker.
    You can also wire it so when you have both coils on they can be series or parallel.
    That way you get two single coil options and two humbucker options-in one pick up alone.
    Yeah--it's an old thread, but if anybody's wondering again...

(Hey I go to new posts, so I don't always notice ones brought back from the dead.)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I picked up a Duncan Hotrail as a trade on a job I did. I had it sitting on a shelf for a while then one boring Sunday I decided to try it out. I have to say that it is an impressive sounding pickup. I intend to build a project around that pickup soon. That's how much I like it.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I bought a Tele bridge from a TDPRIer that came with an SD Hotrails. It ended up in my hotrod Duosonic, but I didn't like it as much as the Artec rail pickup. The other thing is, the SD's four wired, but to me, it sounds anemic as a single coil. I have it wired to a three-way Tele switch, so it'll do single coil/both coils in series, and both coils in parallel. The parallel positions seems to the most flattering to a single-coil-sized rail pickup.

I kind of like ZT's suggestion about the P-Rail. I've never heard the SD versions, but the filtertron-size pickup that Mike Reilander built for me has a P90 coil and a Strat coil, and it's a sweetheart.

Standard buckers don't appeal to me much, but I acquired a Lindy Fralin Unbucker in a trade. It's a conventional humbucker in the sense that there are two coils using standard series wiring, but.....Lindy's created it with one coil much bigger (in terms of wraps), so if a builder chooses to add a coil split to his wiring, the larger coil really sounds more single-coil natured on it's own than most split humbuckers.

And, I'll make one more plug for what I think is a great mod....The Spin-a-Split pot, developed by Peavey, is the best way to coil split a humbucker....any bucker. It lets you add varying degrees of the second coil, instead of it being completely disconnected, as a switch would do. And, if you wire it using a no-load pot, you have the option of taking the split right out of picture.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    single coil/both coils in series, and both coils in parallel. The parallel positions seems to the most flattering to a single-coil-sized rail pickup.

I kind of like ZT's suggestion about the P-Rail. I've never heard the SD versions, but the filtertron-size pickup that Mike Reilander built for me has a P90 coil and a Strat coil, and it's a sweetheart.
    The Duncan version's been around for a while--I'd played some guitars with it--and loved the sound, and one is in my Les Paul copy (in the neck position)--it works great for slide. It's wired for P-90/Rail (Strat style single coil with a rail) and for humbucker in series.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    ...the filtertron-size pickup that Mike Reilander built for me has a P90 coil and a Strat coil...
    Ooh, I like the sound of that!
    (Pun intended.)
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.