Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs you're learning or working on

Hi guys,

can you give me a really good song that I can practice my fingers spreading out, and also practice my picking hand (w/o pick)? with some really good lines I can copy/insert to different sons if the chord progression is the same.. preferably simple and not going in and out of different scales? I just want to improve on my playing and step out of my genre. LOL

"Mr Sandman" a la Chet Atkins?

Ill check that one out dB! Thanks!

I'm still working on some of my own ideas--I haven't had much time to do so lately--but I have three I have recorded parts to see how other parts sound with them, and soon I should be able to put together demo versions--although I need someone else for any drums and vocals--although I could add some simple percussion--I'm not that into using a drum machine or program though--unless I have no choice.
    But I know some drummers--so that shouldn't be too big a problem.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I'm still working on some of my own ideas---
    My favourite post on this thread.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Thanks.
    I've always tried to write my own songs--most of them were horrible, but I like a few of them.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    Hi guys,

can you give me a really good song that I can practice my fingers spreading out...
    "Message In A Bottle" for the spreading fingers. Play it without a pick for your right-hand, although there are lots of songs better for the right hand.
    You may already know it, and even if you do, try it again once in a while.

For the right hand, a couple of staples are "Dust In The Wind" and "Blackbird".

Then watch some Tommy Emmanuel videos. I recommend staying away from sharp objects after doing this. Tommy can be rather humbling.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    "Message In A Bottle" for the spreading fingers. Play it without a pick for your right-hand, although there are lots of songs better for the right hand.
    You may already know it, and even if you do, try it again once in a while.

For the right hand, a couple of staples are "Dust In The Wind" and "Blackbird".

Then watch some Tommy Emmanuel videos. I recommend staying away from sharp objects after doing this. Tommy can be rather humbling.
    Hahah! thank you! I will check these out. I've been playing Telecasters for 2 years straight, and I've never really practiced anything of value or to improve my skill/talent.

In an attempt to expand my horizons, I thought I would break out of my normal Classic Rock routine and give this one a whirl.

This is not me, by the way... this a vid I found while trying to figure out the strumming.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 07-31-2014 at 02:58 PM.

I've had to learn many songs I didn't like--so while I didn't enjoy playing the song, I did learn things from the experience.