Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs you're learning or working on

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I've had to learn many songs I didn't like--so while I didn't enjoy playing the song, I did learn things from the experience.
    This is why sometimes it is best to simply start your own band- then you can determine the direction the band will take

Lately I've been tinkering around with Ricky Wilson's Alternate tunings and learning a bunch of early B-52s stuff....

Planet Claire
    6060-842
    Lava (I've been on a kick with this song since I heard it, which started this)
    Rock Lobster (I figured it out on my Squier VM Bass VI! IT works GREAT for that)
    Whammy Kiss
    Running Around
    - 1996 Fender Jag-Stang, EMG Pickups, EMG Pi2
    - 1998 Fender Jaguar, Seymour Duncan SCR-1B Cool Rails
    - 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (Bone Stock)
    - 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster, Home Built

Here's what I've been working on lately.

I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    This is why sometimes it is best to simply start your own band- then you can determine the direction the band will take
    I wasn't just thinking of that--although it has happened-mostly in jamming situations-but also when I took lessons.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

"Rumble" by Link Wray. A rather simple song to learn with my limited skills.

Right now I am trying to put together an arrangement for "Entry of the Gladiators" in Finale.

If you have never tried arranging this classical stuff, some of it is much harder to arrange than one might think...

I'm taking a bit of a left turn into acoustic territory lately, working on "Thick as a Brick"
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

It's time for me to learn something new. My interest has been flagging because I'd fallen into the habit of playing the same stuff over and over. I'm sure there'll be other rock and roll-ish stuff I'll want to learn once the band is up and running, but that's not what I have in mind. My style of playing guitar when I'm at home alone is different....finger-picking, chord melody sort-of stuff. I'm hoping that something new and challenging will get me playing more regularly.

I posted this in the weekend thread a few days back, and I've decided that I want to learn it........

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Teleblooz, I've been listening to Thick As A Brick pretty much constantly the past few weeks. I want to learn all the guitar and organ parts, and try to switch back and forth.
    Nice to see someone else into that great album (or song).

Spell, that's a beautiful arrangement. Nice choice.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

SC- you want challenging? Try Turkish Rondo by Mozart. My kids and I are starting to play this song on the trumpet.

No DB hasn't gone on a classical kick but if you want something that is more challenging that your average A D E7, this will keep you busy for some time...