Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Songs that helped define/identify/advance/shape/etc you as a guitar player

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    I cant help but notice that all the major guitar players were in the 50's to 70's.. there are a few now, notably doing great in guitar, but I feel that for me to learn more in my craft, I really have to look back at these legends and see how they play. I just recently dove into Jimmy Page's work, and it's astonishing on what level these guys and other bands were playing in that era.

this thread is great! i'm discovering a lot of musicians and music!
    Even the younger guys tend to look the same places for inspiration--at least after they find out where their favorites got their inspiration.
    Glad it's helping--that was one of the reasons I started the thread.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Here's another one that was a step in rhythm playing--and riffing...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The songs you post are all really nice! I listened to each one. Though I also been listening to Dire Straits recently and I love how mark knopfler plays his guitars. Really impressive playing style and clean tone. Im also working if I can get my strat into that clean territory

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    The songs you post are all really nice! I listened to each one. Though I also been listening to Dire Straits recently and I love how mark knopfler plays his guitars. Really impressive playing style and clean tone. Im also working if I can get my strat into that clean territory
    Remember Knopfler plays with his thumb/fingers--that's a big part of his tone.

This one taught me simplicity & feel--and I love this song:

For some odd reason the original post I made only included one of the videos & when I went to edit it to include both it created a new post--even though I clicked on Edit--not new post...
    Last edited by zontar; 03-18-2017 at 09:06 PM.

These two were songs I figured out early on--and played a lot--they certainly helped me develop into someone who loves a good power chord--and then some..
    They also helped with exploring tone.

I always liked Communication Breakdown....It was one of two favorite songs on the first album. I also really like the Jimmy Page acoustic solo that leads very abruptly into Communications Breakdown, called Black Mountain Side. I think it's one of his real high points in guitar work. I've been monkeying with trying to play it for years.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I always liked Communication Breakdown....It was one of two favorite songs on the first album. I also really like the Jimmy Page acoustic solo that leads very abruptly into Communications Breakdown, called Black Mountain Side. I think it's one of his real high points in guitar work. I've been monkeying with trying to play it for years.
    It is a cool piece & the contras is part of what Page wanted to do with Zeppelin.
    I can play Communication Breakdown (Somewhere out there is a demo version where I played the guitar & bass parts & did a solo--but I'm not sure if vocals ever got added or if it was ever mixed...

This one is more recent & fit right in with things I was trying to do--I already used double stops & 4ths (Or inverted 5ths if you prefer)--but there's something about the feel in how it's put together.

Also check out the bass--this one has been one for that for me as well.