Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Songs that helped define/identify/advance/shape/etc you as a guitar player

Mississippi Queen was first for me. It showed me that an average speed guitarist could still play fantastic heavy music. I started out slow and got slower over the years, but at the same time I think I improved. Now I have medical issues that slow me down, and I use that as an excuse...but I've always been slow
    ****Please check out some of my music****
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610

It is a cool song & a cool riff

A lot of cool sounding stuff isn't as difficult as it sounds.
    And some difficult stuff is boring to listen to.

I started playing guitar on classical guitar & when friends wanted to hear something I played the easy stuff that sounded cool, instead of the harder stuff that didn't sound cool.
    Of course there is tricky stuff that sounds cool as well--but higher risk on those as well.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

This one also helped in terms of alternating sounds & styles, and for ideas of panning when possible.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I just remembered this one--I don't play like this--but trying to come up with something similar has influenced & spoken into my playing & ideas.
    Again--I can't really copy this--so I did something quite different--but it came out of wanting to play like this: