Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs that helped define/identify/advance/shape/etc you as a guitar player

Songs that helped define/identify/advance/shape/etc you as a guitar player

So everybody feel free to post your own videos--what songs mad an impact on you as a guitar player?
    Not necessarily songs that made you want to play--although they can be included--but more songs that played a significant part in your advancement as a musician or that helped shape who you are as a guitar player...

I'll start with this one.
    I learned chords--and always enjoyed (& still do) playing the rhythm guitar part in things)--but I still wanted to learn how to solo--primarily a blues style & a rock style.
    I knew the pentatonic scales & other modes--but to me it always sounded like I was just playing notes--nothing clicked for me.
    Then my teacher lent me a book with various transcribed solos--it had this song in it--in standard tuning--and I tried playing it--played the first 4 notes & it was like someone flicked on a light switch--I got it!
    Something made sense & I was off from there.
    I always hear licks I copped unconsciously from Albert King-but this song started it all...

Feel free to add your own--they won't all be to everybody's taste-but who knows what we might learn from this if we share.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Hey Zontar,

That song is really nice! Classic Blues!

Here's mine:

The Moffats.

90's. This band totally made me play the guitar. It influenced me in every way I play my guitar. I gotta say, that If I didnt listen to them I wouldnt have been playing guitar. But I was already playing drums during this time though.

This particular live version (Im surprised its on youtube), made me learn how to play solo. I got that solo down note for note, and also they influenced me in getting a Les Paul type guitar as my first electric guitar. and up to now, I still listen to their albums, even though it's so cheesy and corny, but they are still one of my main influence and I like to revisit them from time to time.

as for getting me into the blues, It's basically John Mayer and this song:

I dove into his influences and found Hendrix, SRV, Eric Clapton, etc.. and the rest is history

Thanks for playing...(In more ways than one)

Here's another in my history.
    Growing up if I was the only one home I would listen to music with headphones & crank up my amp so I could hear both.
    I jammed to a lot of albums that way--sometimes just noodling, sometimes playign along with songs I knew & sometimes figuring them out.
    This song--and others--taught me that I didn't have to be a virtuoso to play a cool solo--the feel & emotion were even more important-
    I still hear some of this in my own playing-not directly playing it--but stylistically...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I have more to add--feel free to add your own & let's see if we can inspire others to learn some new stuff...
    (And to the copyright holders of these songs--my own song ideas sound nothing like these songs...)

And here are a couple more Neil Young songs that also shaped my playing--and were fun to jam with:

(Actually the whole re-ac-tor album was great for jamming along with--using the headphone method above (Or the input jack on many amps these days)

And this one was a fun riff as well:

Axellent Member
    Before I played guitar, I played organ. I played from the age of 4. Up until I was 8 years old, I only associated organ with church music... Then I heard this song, and it made playing the organ 'cool' right from the opening chord

It didn't really influence my guitar playing, but the whole FORE! album drove me as a musician from a very young age.

Cool--thanks for playing as well...

As for me--well a combo of Albert King & Neil Young--kind of sums it up--but here is more to it than that--so more to come...

Well now something more for rhythm playing, feel & phasing--these two did a lot of that for me.
    And Jon Lord probably influenced me more than Blackmore that way-although they were both influences...

& you could add some others from those two albums--but I'll let those two do the talking.

Something a little different than above--but learning this song did give me some better rhythm chops...

This one helped with feel & phrasing...

Anybody else?

I cant help but notice that all the major guitar players were in the 50's to 70's.. there are a few now, notably doing great in guitar, but I feel that for me to learn more in my craft, I really have to look back at these legends and see how they play. I just recently dove into Jimmy Page's work, and it's astonishing on what level these guys and other bands were playing in that era.

this thread is great! i'm discovering a lot of musicians and music!