Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Syncopation & you &a song I'm learning

Syncopation & you &a song I'm learning

Learning this song to playing a couple of weeks for a farewell party--I'm playing bass.
    That's also why I wasn't on last night--I was listening to the song, figuring out the bass part & trying to get the timing down.
    We'll see how that goes & how well we play it together.

Normally when I play guitar or bass in front of people it's in church --this is an actual performance.
    Should be fun though.

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Do you read music, ZT? I find it helpful to write of musical phrases that are giving me trouble, especially when it is with the timing.

Or even if I don't write it down, I tap out the basic rhythm while trying to sing the troublesome part. Triplets in the case of this song.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Yes I read music--as do at least some of the others (Guitar, bass, keyboards, harmonica & vocals)
    between the 5 of us we should be able o figure it out...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm sure you can figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I'm sure you can figure it out!
    Note wise I did--and was glad to hear the others figured out the same thing.
    Practice went well tonight--it was fun and we still need some tweaks--but we got some progress & also just did some general jamming at the end for fun.
    But one thing we have to watch--we kept speeding up--so we really backed it off towards the end.
    We'll see how things go & if we can fit in some more practice sessions.

Are you playing without a drummer or is the drummer having time keeping tempo?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Are you playing without a drummer or is the drummer having time keeping tempo?
    No drummer--we had a possible one--but so far it's a no go--we still have time to add one if thy know what they're doing, otherwise it will fall to me on the bass--so hopefully the others listen to me...
    (Well my playing any way)

Well either it falls to the bass or the rhythm guitar player

Well since the rhythm guitar is more of a chord fill, it falls more to me, in terms of playing the main riff, I am looking itno using a click track in some way--at least to get started...

Click track or metronome or drum machine for this is a great idea. Not only at band rehearsal, but for your own private practising of this riff.
    Syncopated parts can provide opportunity for things to speed up, unless everyone is really comfortable with where the anticipated notes are and where the holes are.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.