Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Quick disconnects for pickups

Makes sense. It is very doubtful that arch rivals like Gibson and Fender would ever agree upon a standard...

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Run, Forrest! Somebody said "crimp connectors"! (I hate crimp-on fittings with a passion)

The problem is, you buy some new guitars, and the only way to upgrade the pickups is to butcher the original wiring harness, because the manufacturer won't make the mating connectors available to retail customers....and there are people who don't want to start chopping up the electronics in a new MIA guitar.
    yes, the dreaded extra work--that doesn't necessarily resolve anything...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, particularly as it applies to pickup design and polarity. I'm basing some of what I said on my background in car audio. Companies that started out building specialized interconnects, such as the Pioneer super-system plugs, and the din connectors originally favoured by companies like Alpine and Linear, eventually reverted to RCA connectors that became the standard of the industry. Eventually these companies realized that there was broader market appeal in equipment that would easily interface with other brands. Likewise, the somewhat bizarre wiring schemes used by some companies finally started to standardize into the green, grey, violet, white configuration that pretty much everyone uses now. It appealed to consumers who wanted to DIY install their own systems.

Judging by the responses in forums to specialized pickup connectors and the diffculties in upgrading, I think manufacturers will eventually realize that their guitars would have broader appeal if they were upgradeable without the consumer having to gut all the electronics and start from scratch if they wanted to change pickups.

Mike makes a really good point about polarity and winding direction though. It's going to be tough to get all makers agreeing on a common system. Heck there are even pickup makers like Fralin that can't even standardize within their own product lines, so an industry standard seems unlikely.

I see what you're saying... and standardizing the color code for the wire harness was a godsend in the car audio industry... As far as the RCA's from head unit to amp go, to me seems no different than our 1/4" TS cables going from guitar to amp. Thankfully, that portion is standardized

Wouldn't be easier to simply buy connectors in bulk and crimp the wires in yourself making your own de facto standard?
    The problem is, you buy some new guitars, and the only way to upgrade the pickups is to butcher the original wiring harness, because the manufacturer won't make the mating connectors available to retail customers....and there are people who don't want to start chopping up the electronics in a new MIA guitar.
    These manufacturers are using off the shelf connectors. You are usually looking for a molex micro fit connector. (I have the part numbers for the gibson 4 and 5 pin if anyone wants it, haven't figured out which one fender's using yet.). The connectors themselves are cheap, and if properly crimped, are supposed to provide a better connection than solder (this is the opinion of the product literature and not my own). That being said, the tool to crimp these things is most definitely NOT cheap! I bought a 'cheap' 3rd party crimper at well over $100 and it did a lousy job. I had to splurge for the Molex branded one, anticipating PCB Gibson owners would request their special plugs on their pickups. The tool has yet to pay for itself.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 07-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Well at least the tool is paid for any you'll have it forever...

Well it would be cool to learn to do this ourselves--don't know if I have the aptitude--but it is an area I wouldn't mind looking into one day--we could all wind our own pickups...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.