Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick disconnects for pickups

Quick disconnects for pickups

I've been looking for a way to do quick connects for pickups for a while and just came across these. I think they're intended for RC models......

Premade Servo Leads
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

you should look at the system for how the Dan Armstrong guitars did that- very cool notion that you can simply slide a pickup out and put in a different one on the fly

AT Member
    That looks like it would work...

Seymour Duncan has a system known as the Liberator to facilitate pickup swaps although I don't know if this will work on Humbugger guitars.

Liberator - change your guitar pickups using only a screwdriver

I thought about that too, but couldn't find a connector small enough to go through the hole between the pickup & control cavities on my Tele.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Yeah, I can see issues with Tele's because of that small wire channel. They'd work out well for Strats and LP's though.

I can see myself ordering some to use in my cherryburst Strat at some point in the future. I need to tear it down to figure out why switch position one doesn't work, but I've put it off for a while.....There's hardwiring between the wireless switches on the pickguard and the circuit board located in the tremelo cavity and it's very inconvenient. Some quick disconnects would go a long way toward solving that.

It would be good for fast loaded pickguard changes in Strats too. One three conductor quick-connect for the output jacks wires and the trem claw ground, and it would become a solderless operation.

did you look into the Dan Armstrong style system, SC?

I didn't look at it before but your recent post prodded me to do a search. I'd never heard of Dan Armstrong or his pickups. While it's an interesting idea, I'd hate to be tied to a particular brand or style of pickup. I'm more focussed on the idea of making it easy to interchange a variety of brands by adopting a universal connector.

spellcaster, I've figured out a quick-disconnect that really solves a lot of problems for me: the subminiature plugs that are used on piezo pickups. You can get a handful of piezo under-saddle pickups from an HK vendor for as little as a buck each (my last batch: 3 for $6 shipping-in) and I just cut the leads off the piezo pickups, and toss the pickups. The plugs are smaller than most coax pickup leads, and most holes big enough for a 4-lead pickup will accommodate 2 of these plugs side-by-side for more complex wiring.

Now, the sockets are a bit tougher to come by. To my knowledge, they're usually only found these days on cables in accessory kits for cel phones, but things like adapter cables with submini phone sockets show up regularly at my local thrifts, and I've grabbed three in the last month alone...I never have enough, though.

Still leaves you with the problem of having to unfasten both a control cavity cover and a mounting ring - or the whole pickguard assembly for strat-types - but if you wire the output jack to a mini or submini phone plug and socket, which is what I did on the guitar that I wanted interchangeable pickups, then at least you've got half the battle won.

BTW thanks - I think it was you who offered the tips for dealing with stripped screwholes in the body, which I now have due to the ease of pickup-swaps in this guitar!

I thought about the Liberator system, but I didn't like the idea of having a foot of bound-up pickup lead gorilla-taped to the bottom of all my pickups...it would definitely force me to carve out more clearance for the extra pickup height, which I don't want to do. I also looked at things like the 4-pin connectors used to connect compact hard disk power supplies, and mini-USB plugs. The piezo-saddle leads seem to be the best option for me, and come with the added benefit of built-in shielded leads, easier to work with than plug lugs for a ham-hand like me.

EMG uses quick disconnects ....which also means no broken solder

81 | Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups