Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebra or Chrome?

Zebra or Chrome?

Hey everyone, been away a while. Two kids is infinitely more challenging than one, I'm finding, and also way more time consuming! Hope everyone is well.

Just popped in to get some opinions. I'm going to be getting my Schecter 006 Deluxe back up and running, as it's been taken apart because my Q-Tuners that went into Sterling were previously in this Schecter. I love this guitar, and I just want it back in playable condition.

I'm looking at the GFS Crunchy Pat's because they seem like they'll be good enough without spending a ton of money. Reviews seem pretty fair. BUT, should I go with the Zebra finish, or the Chrome finish??? I'm indifferent! Keep in mind, they'll have to have a mounting bracket around them. The finish of the guitar is matte black.

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.” - Joe Rogan

https://soundcloud.com/son-explosif

I'm not a fan of zebra humbuckers. I'd suggest either all-black or chrome. Being as how the body's black, some brightwork might be a good thing.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

You should get a set of these Guitarheads fat pole humbuckers for it.I am just as impressed with these as any Gfs pickups I have used. I probably used at least a dozen gfs & still say I would try these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-29_09-24-43_226.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	3347  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Man, if only the pickups didnt have "GuitarHeads" so prominent! Not that I'm worried about using a no name brand, it's just that I don't like names to show at all really! Maybe if it were a smaller font. I'm weird, I know!

That being said though, both GFS and Guitarheads make decent enough stuff, eh?
    “If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.” - Joe Rogan

The GFS pickups come with 4 wires for coil tapping, which I don't plan to utilize right now. I can avoid this and still wire it up to be a standard wiring, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallski View Post
    The GFS pickups come with 4 wires for coil tapping, which I don't plan to utilize right now. I can avoid this and still wire it up to be a standard wiring, correct?
    Correct. The pickup probably arrived with two of the wires twisted together. Just leave them connected and insulate the connection.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Well, I need to weigh in--I love the look of zebra humbuckers.
    At one point I didn't, but when I bought a humbucker for a project that I later decided not to do, I kept the humbucker.
    The one I wanted was only available in zebra at the time.
    When I later got a used Les Paul (Black) I decided to use the humbucker & bought the matching one for the neck.
    The store I bough it from only had it in zebra.
    I was hoping for both coils black.
    But I thought I would just get covers for them.
    However when I got the pickups put in (& some other work) I hadn't found covers I liked, so I left them uncovered--and over time I really came to like the look.
    I think it's great on a black guitar.

But whatever you do is up to you--it's your guitar.

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Looks nice Zontar! I like zebra as well, but for some reason I'm leaning towards the chrome... and zebra I'll decide here eventually.

well, looks like I might be going to the zebra route. GFS has this calibrated set on sale. Not the Crunchy Pat's I was thinking of getting, but again, I'm not trying to break the bank. Good deal, I'd say. I'm not to familiar with Alnico pickups (maybe I am, just not by that name), any thoughts?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/CLEARANC...s_p_12184.html

Aluminum Nickel & Cobalt--thus ALnico--they're the most common in guitar pickups--although there are different types/strengths.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.