Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on pickup position

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Duck Xing View Post
    ...I plan on using an old Tele body with a swimming pool route to determine where the Teiscos sound best. I'll Make a little holder/jig that will let me slide them around to find the best-sounding spot. The real body I'm going to use is from a Cray Strat.
    There ya go!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Pickups

I play Tele's and I use the 3 pickup combinations all the time.
    For example I play chords with both pups on. I play single notes above the 5th fret with the neck pup and as I work my way down the neck I switch to the bridge pup.
    I like P90's & have them in all my Tele's,neck & bridge.
    I use the guitars volume & tone controls constantly.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

So, if a guy was going to build a slidecaster to be able to try pickups in multiple positions, aside from a swimming pool route, what would you do? ....Would it be adequate to wood screw pickups to the bottom of the cavity (ala GE Smith) or would a solid top or pickguard be important in determining the pickup's sound?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

"what would you do?" How about making a "U"-shaped pup mount that holds the pup upside down above the strings, and that you can still slide along the string's usable length? After all, it's just magnets sensing the vibrations of the strings. Oughta work. You could make it so you could also adjust the pup's height/distance from strings.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

Sounds Good !

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

"what would you do?" How about making a "U"-shaped pup mount that holds the pup upside down above the strings, and that you can still slide along the string's usable length? After all, it's just magnets sensing the vibrations of the strings. Oughta work. You could make it so you could also adjust the pup's height/distance from strings.
    It's an interesting idea, Xing. It kinda reminds me of the old Rickenbacker pickups with the horseshoe magnet. I've been trying to visualize how it could be done. About the only drawback would be that you might have to play on a less desirable position rather than over the pickup, but at least you'd get an idea where the pickup was responding best.

I'm guessing that whatever guitar was used to test the top-loading idea would need to have any pickups that were mounted in the body removed, so the magnetic fields wouldn't overlap.

Spell,
    I was just going to use it to locate the best position for the pickups, and then mount them in that spot, but in the traditional manner, on the body under the strings.

Spell,
    I was just going to use it to locate the best position for the pickups, and then mount them in that spot, but in the traditional manner, on the body under the strings.
    Yeah, I wasn't thinking of it as a permanent thing either, but my point is that I find where my fingers or pick are (either right over or offset from the pickup) has a lot to do with how it sounds. (and I probably use that technique to get the tone I want a lot more than alterations with tone controls and switching pickups). But as I said, even if a guy's got to play offset when there's a pickup mounted overhead, it probably would give them a good idea where the sweet spot is before doing body/pickguard surgery.

I also think that if there are questions about the validity of Fender's angled bridge pickups, or if you're curious about reverse (left-handed) angles, it's a great way to figure out what you like.

Understood!

I don't like a pickup in the middle because it's in my way,not because the tone is bad.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.