Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on pickup position

John,
    I'm a fingerpicker, even for Gatton tunes. A pup in the middle doesn't hinder me, but I could see where digging into the strings with a pick, that there might be problems!
    John B
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

Yea,if I had a 3 pup guitar I would put 2 of them near the bridge.
    I'm fine with 2 pups.
    I play chords with my thumb & pick with my pick.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Duck Xing View Post
    "what would you do?" How about making a "U"-shaped pup mount that holds the pup upside down above the strings, and that you can still slide along the string's usable length? After all, it's just magnets sensing the vibrations of the strings. Oughta work. You could make it so you could also adjust the pup's height/distance from strings.
    That is a great idea! The swimming pool that Mike and I have been talking about would let you actually play the guitar comfortably as you try the different positions. But it would mean trashing a guitar body. Xing's idea would save a guitar from being sacrificed!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    That is a great idea! The swimming pool that Mike and I have been talking about would let you actually play the guitar comfortably as you try the different positions. But it would mean trashing a guitar body. Xing's idea would save a guitar from being sacrificed!
    Xing's would work, but the string to string balance may be off slightly due to the radius-ed action of the strings being backwards. An alternative may be to use a strat style guitar that already has a swimming pool route. You can then cut a rectangular opening in a scrap pickguard that is the width of the pickup tops, and two slot grooves in line with the mounting holes. This would allow the user to freely slide the pickups back and forth while maintaining pup height, and the spring tension would hold them in place for testing.

Once your optimum position is found, you can then cut a pickguard blank to accommodate the new placement.

Great Idea !

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

Back in the halcyon days of yore, Gibson put out a bass called the "Grabber". The body was about the same as the Ripper bass they had out at about the same time. The oddball thing about it was that it had, as I recall, a single humbucker pickup mounted on a slide in the pickguard that allowed the player to reposition it anywhere within the slider's range, to find the optimum "sweet spot" position.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Well, you could grab the pickup & move it.

Try putting one between the bridge & tailpiece won a guitar where those are two separate elements
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

Yes, of course! I forgot about that bass.

And this guitar:

ZT should have remembered this one too!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Well, you could grab the pickup & move it.

Try putting one between the bridge & tailpiece won a guitar where those are two separate elements
    Hence the name Grabber !

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.