Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar hum

Quote Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
    This is the article.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Well that is something that has been mentioned--but that is one type of humming.
    Single coil hum is something else.
    At least how I hear things.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Before tearing into that guitar, take your guitar and amp into another room and try it. If there is no hum, its the wiring or lighting in the room you were in causing 60hZ interference.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

I'm curious to hear Mike R. weigh in here

Axellent Member
    Why does hum go away when your​ arm is touching the bridge or tailpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    Before tearing into that guitar, take your guitar and amp into another room and try it. If there is no hum, its the wiring or lighting in the room you were in causing 60hZ interference.
    Certainly that is a factor in buzz...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

There's an influence on pickup capacitance when your arm's over the guitar and your body becomes a much bigger part of the shield around the guitar. Some guys wrap a piece of wire around their wrist, to enhance the noise reducing effect when they have to take their hands off the strings.

This is another of those musical compromises that has to be made, much like the fact that even properly tuned and intonated, not every note on the fretboard will be perfectly in tune. Some small degree of noise is inevitable as well. You need to start by eliminating noise on the factors you can control....such as shielding the pickups and controls in a Farraday cage. Most people seem to agree that copper foil offers superior performance over graphite shielding paints.

It's worth trying to assess the quality of the bridge ground by using a jumper lead between the bridge and the shield side of your output lead. If it gets quieter when you make that connection, it's important to reassess whether your bridge ground is really up to snuff. But, make sure the noise elements you can control are taken care of first.

You need to recognize that the external noise sources, such as 60 cycle hum, dimmers, florescent lights, computer monitors, etc are radiated sources of noise you can't control, and even spending hundreds of dollars on Furman power conditioners won't help. Your best course of action is to do your best to make the guitar impervious to EMF and RF.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Your best course of action is to do your best to make the guitar impervious to EMF and RF.
    This is something that was supposed to help with that--among other things...
    Fibreoptic guitar

Axellent Member
    I am learning a lot from you all, to and very much appreciate your input. If​ I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like there is no way to totally eliminate noise. Is that true? Or am I confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
    I am learning a lot from you all, to and very much appreciate your input. If​ I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like there is no way to totally eliminate noise. Is that true? Or am I confused...........
    Nope, I think that's true. But, just as it's the sum of many small details that end up with a great guitar instead of a good one, the pursuit of noise is the same. It takes attention to a lot of small items on the list of noise-reducing efforts to end up with a guitar that notably quiet.

There's a couple of high-dollar add-ons that offer special noise reducing properties.....Lindy Fralin pickups builds one (I think it's a Strat rear cover) that offers some special noise-reducing properties, but it's two or three hundred bucks....Well beyond what most people can spend in the course of the build. I've come to accept that the average builder can achieve 95% results just by following the procedures that are commonly recommended.

I can remember spending several hours one night reading a 36 page thread in one of the really esoteric guitar forums about noise reduction. While a lot of what they talked about was well over my head technically, it gave me the realization that even the real experts don't totally agree on everything.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Lots of disagreement out there for sure--but while you may be able to reduce or eliminate some sources of hum, there are others that may pop up--and it may be better or worse in some locations--so it is also a good idea to have strategies to deal with it.