Thread: Question for Mreilander

Axellent Member

Question for Mreilander

Been reading a lot of posts on these forums. Some say the higher the ohms the hotter the pickup. Others say that's not true.
    I seem to get more volume out of pickups with higher resistance, but I don't know what other things may be changing the volume.
    Does more resistance equal more volume. Every article I read on this subject seems to have a slightly different take on it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I can't profess to know this one, but I know others here will opine on this

Axellent Member
    I directed this to Mreilander, but hope anyone will answer. Appreciate all opinions.

It's magic!

Okay--not really--but sometimes it feels that way...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
    I directed this to Mreilander, but hope anyone will answer. Appreciate all opinions.............
    I'm also anxious to hear Mike's insights on this.....He's a guy that'll be able to lay it all out. Since he hasn't been by lately, here's the extent of my knowledge (and take it with a grain of salt because my understanding is limited).....From what I've seen online, I tend to use the ohms number as a reference to how hot the pickup output will be. However, I've heard guys in the know say there's more to it than that....And I'm assuming they're referring to magnet size and type, as well as the gauge of wire that's wound on the coil, which probably influence output and frequency response.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

If you don't hear back, just PM him

Pickups are like soup... The DC resistance is just an ingredient of that soup. If you want a spicy soup, you're not going to add just one ingredient to accomplish that ( I would hope)

All other variables being equal, a higher DCR would indicate a higher turn count, thus a hotter pickup. That being said, all other variables are typically not equal. For example, 42 awg wire has a lower resistance per inch than 43 awg. If you go by DCR alone and saw pickup 'A' being 7.5K and pickup 'B' being 6K, you would be inclined to think the 7.5K pickup is hotter. Now, if pickup 'A' is wound with 43 awg, and pickup 'B' is wound with 42 awg, they would, in fact, both have a turn count of approx 8000 turns on a typical fender bobbin. If all other factors are the same, both pickups would have approximately the same output with pickup 'A' having slightly less top end response than pickup 'B'.

Another factor is magnet strength. You could have 2 pickups with the same coil DC resistance, but pickup 'A' has a weaker magnetic field than pickup 'B'. Pickup 'B' will have more output.

There are many other variables than can affect a pickups output. Overall, direct current resistance will simply guide you as to the turn count of similarly constructed pickups, but is pretty useless for determining anything else. Pickups are an alternating current device... If you truly want to know how a pickup will react, you need to focus on the inductance rather than the DCR.... but even then, no testing or readings will compare to actually using the pickup in a guitar and experiencing it.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 06-20-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm also anxious to hear Mike's insights on this.....He's a guy that'll be able to lay it all out. Since he hasn't been by lately, here's the extent of my knowledge (and take it with a grain of salt because my understanding is limited).....From what I've seen online, I tend to use the ohms number as a reference to how hot the pickup output will be. However, I've heard guys in the know say there's more to it than that....And I'm assuming they're referring to magnet size and type, as well as the gauge of wire that's wound on the coil, which probably influence output and frequency response.
    Your understanding is less limited than you give yourself credit for
    Last edited by Mreilander; 06-20-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Axellent Member
    Can you measure inductance?

Yes, but you need an LCR meter that can measure @ 1khz. The only handheld unit I know of that can do this above 2H is this one

That being said, most pickups have their inductance values available with a quick google search