Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brief History of High–Output Pickups

I love all quality pickup's & have a great example of most designs in my guitar arsenal. For my strongest styles in playing I tend to use single coils both Strat & Tele plus P90s seem to inhance my picking style. I do like how hot humbucker pickup's have that over the edge crunch so easily. Great for something's & if I was playing hard rock all the time I would be using hot alnico 5 humbucker's. Great article.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    I love all quality pickup's & have a great example of most designs in my guitar arsenal. For my strongest styles in playing I tend to use single coils both Strat & Tele plus P90s seem to inhance my picking style. I do like how hot humbucker pickup's have that over the edge crunch so easily. Great for something's & if I was playing hard rock all the time I would be using hot alnico 5 humbucker's. Great article.
    I do like having variety--although most of mine are humbuckers--but I have a guitar I can split them on--and that one & another have a series/parallel option.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I wonder if I'd like the tone of a split coil hunbucker- how does it stack up to a P90?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I wonder if I'd like the tone of a split coil hunbucker- how does it stack up to a P90?
    It depends on which pickup.

In my Les Paul copy I have Seymour Duncans--a JB in the bridge & a P-Rail in the neck.
    The JB when split, would be closer to a Strat--not identical, but closer to that than a P-90.
    It can also depend on which coil is being used when you split them--the one closer to the bridge or further--as that can affect the tone.

the P-Rail is a combo of a P-90 & a Strat style pickup with a rail, instead of pole pieces.
    Together they make a cool humbucker--and you can have the coils in series or parallel
    Series will give you a humbucker sound--and with mismatched coils that adds some character to your sound.
    In parallel it is like you wired in a P-90 and a rail Start pickup next to each other.

I have mine wired for series--I could have wired it to switch with parallel as well, but that woudl have added cost & work & parts to do it--and so I made that call as I already have many sound options & series was more useful to me than parallel--but it is an option if you choose.

Individually the P-90 coil sounds like a P-90--you get that P-90 growl.
    the Rail Coil has a Strat like quality I quite like.
    I didn't think I would use it much (& I do use them together or the P-90 more often--but I use it more than I thought)

the P-Rail coil tone is also--obviously--affected by whether it is in bridge or neck or other position--or which coils is positions which way.
    But I am quite happy with it.
    If you want the options of humbucker, Strat/rail type single coil and P-90 in one guitar--it is the way to go.

I use this guitar for slide--and both pickups have something to offer with that.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

cool- lots of options!

cool- lots of options!
    Almost too many
    The idea was to duplicate other guitars I have so I would leave that one for slide.
    But it was so simple to do otherwise--and I got both pickups for a great price.
    I'd like to put a P-Rail in another guitar as well- but I am happy with the pickups I already have in each guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Almost too many
    The idea was to duplicate other guitars I have so I would leave that one for slide.
    But it was so simple to do otherwise--and I got both pickups for a great price.
    I'd like to put a P-Rail in another guitar as well- but I am happy with the pickups I already have in each guitar.
    Yeah that is an issue with me. If I have too many options I simply shut down

Yeah that is an issue with me. If I have too many options I simply shut down
    I don't mind the number of options--I was thinking I didn't want it to have options my other guitars don't have--otehr than it was set up for slide.
    But it does have those options

I can only imagine those crazy Japanese guitars from the 60's and 70's with dozens of switching options!

At best I get a Strat pickup sound when I do that. The field is to narrow to get the bottom end that P90s can produce.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.