Thread: Lace Alumitone Pickups

Lace Alumitone Pickups

Anybody else ever try any of these?
    They have ones to match P-90s, Strat type single coils & humbuckers, etc.

I liked them.
    If I ever replace any pickups on a guitar again I woudl love to try these out.
    I played a Strat with them in it--and it was a real light Strat as well.
    Also played a couple of Les Paul type guitars with their humbucker & P-90 pickups

I still love the pickups I have already--but these are cool and have a bit of variation from what I have.

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've never heard of them...

Yes I have tried the Alumitone pickups. I did up this bottom feeder Gretsch for my good buddy Paul & installed a pair of the Humbucker one's in it. It was a learning experience as when I first put them in I used 500k pots. The result was super bright tone bordering on shrill. I hated them. So back to the drawing board. I changed the pots out to 250k and the results were dramatic. They sounded like no humbucker I've ever heard. Crazy nice tone. This guitar went into a pro studio that is used by pro musicians all over the world. No exaggeration! He told me that those pickup's produce an airy jangle that he's never experienced before & that that bottom feeder at the time had been used like a hundred times already laying track's for many different styles. I have only experienced the Humbucker one's but I am a big fan of Don Lace's pickups & give them 2 thumbs up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6326-3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	4055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6325.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	4056  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

KC did you have to change the cap out too or just the pots?

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Yes I have tried the Alumitone pickups. I did up this bottom feeder Gretsch for my good buddy Paul & installed a pair of the Humbucker one's in it. It was a learning experience as when I first put them in I used 500k pots. The result was super bright tone bordering on shrill. I hated them. So back to the drawing board. I changed the pots out to 250k and the results were dramatic. They sounded like no humbucker I've ever heard. Crazy nice tone. This guitar went into a pro studio that is used by pro musicians all over the world. No exaggeration! He told me that those pickup's produce an airy jangle that he's never experienced before & that that bottom feeder at the time had been used like a hundred times already laying track's for many different styles. I have only experienced the Humbucker one's but I am a big fan of Don Lace's pickups & give them 2 thumbs up.
    Cool--good thing to remember about the pots--I might liek the sound you didn't--or I might not like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    KC did you have to change the cap out too or just the pots?
    Most of the experts I have heard from think most of what you hear about all the different caps out there to be mumbo jumbo--whether marketing or stuff people just believer
    The value makes a difference they say--but the pot would make a much bigger difference.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I kept the same cap. The debate over tone Capacitors can get way out of hand. I can here differences in values for sure when they are wide open. Under usual conditions a player would never go all the way on though so really your only using a percentage of what it filters. Anyone who says there is no audio difference between values wide open and claim's to be an expert I will quickly question there so called expertise as well as there hearing. When I had the 500s installed I found the tone to be even brighter than Strat pickup's. On further research I found that there were others that found the same result. The reason I mentioned it was that the old 250k for single coil & 500k for humbucker did not apply to those. This shows that the whole design of an Alumitone is a totally different animal. Check out how low the resistance level on them.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

They do say they are a new type of pickup
    As for the Caps--I meant no major differences between types of caps--so that eh big bucks you see being charged for Bumble bee and oil in paper caps, etc probably aren't worth it for the difference--if any.
    The value does--but as you pointed out there is a limitation.
    So the benefit of one over the other is mostly marketing.

So even if one cap is better than another--for the price difference--you have to dcid if it is worth it.
    For me--as I play for a hobby--no it probably isn't.
    But even if you make a living at playing it may not be.

There might not be a significant difference in type of cap but I generally use very large tone caps in my guitars and it definitely makes a difference. Some guitar techs have questioned the caps I request to have installed

I was happy with the ones in my LP copy & left them--actually I left the pots as well--and I love the way it sounds with the current pickups.

But if I do change any pickups again I think Alumatones woudl be cool to have for something a bit different.