Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P-90 Preambulations

Very nice guitars. I remember the Paul from back in the day though I never got to play one. Is that Melody Maker from the same era? I grew up with a kid who had one. It was some kind of brown burst but it was beautiful.
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

Quote Originally Posted by randoo11 View Post
    Very nice guitars. I remember the Paul from back in the day though I never got to play one. Is that Melody Maker from the same era? I grew up with a kid who had one. It was some kind of brown burst but it was beautiful.
    I got the Paul back in about 1985 & got a great deal because the bridge pick up had a bad coil-crazy thing was when I visited a friend a few days later he had just replaced the p'up in his Les Paul Custom and sold it for $10-I sure snapped that up! I've added a black pickguard to the Paul since the photo-I like it a lot with the 'guard.

Here is a quick tune I did with the Melody Maker, all the guitars are the MM, plus drum machine, and synthe bass and keyboard parts.
    SoundClick artist: Anfontan - For most of it I multitrack my music-its the easiest way for me. Though I have had some very intere

that one almost made my number 2 guitar list... just because of the curiosity in P90's.. I haven't tried them, but if I will have a "ROCK" guitar, it will be a telecaster with humbuckers or P90's..

I tried out the P-90 Tele with the band last night, tuned to open G. I gotta say it nailed the Keef vibe pretty well on the Stones tunes. I'm keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblooz View Post
    I tried out the P-90 Tele with the band last night, tuned to open G. I gotta say it nailed the Keef vibe pretty well on the Stones tunes. I'm keeping it.
    Someone said that they're good for slide playing. Tried that? Makes sense. Lots of clean sustain.

Haven't tried any serious slide on it yet.

When I was younger I didn't like them, they weren't "heavy" enough for me.

My Les Paul was originally made for humbuckers--you can tell by the routing, but a previous owner had jammed in some SD Soapbars.
    They didn't do it for me, and I put in some humbuckers.

Now I have a P-Rail waiting to go into the neck position of my LP copy.

I think there a re a lot of players who have done some incredible stuff with P-90's, and I've always thought so, but they didn't fit what I was doing.

Now that I'm older I've grown to appreciate them in the neck position for my playing--especially slide--but not so much in the bridge position (My LP copy has a JB waiting for the bridge.)

SO sometimes we change our tatses---maybe one day I'll be gassing for a LP with 3 P-90's...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

My first encounter with P-90s was back about 72. I had been playing a 68 Tele and was really hating it. It squealed like a pig anytime you turned up. And you know it was all about turning up back then. I traded it for a non-reverse Firebird with 2 soapbars and I played the crap outta that thing. Had a great time.

I was using an Ampeg V2 with a V4 bottom (attn die bullen) and our band rocked the house. It got great sustain and mad feedback. I spent a lot of time pushing my guitar into the speakers getting some wild noise.

Somewhere around the 80's I got rid of it, went acoustic, then to Strats which led me to my Tele which is my favorite guitar, ironically enough. My new CV 60 might give it some competition though.

I bought a PRS SE Soapbar almost 2 years ago hoping to rekindle that P-90 magic but it didn't happen. It was a really fine guitar but the more I played it the more I wanted to pick up my Tele or a Strat.I traded it for the CV Strat. No regrets.

Sorry I missed your question about my Melody Maker, randoo11. It's a 2004 model, it is called a Les Paul Melody Maker model, to me it's an update of the Les Paul Jr.

The Melody Maker has a tune-o-matic bridge for better intonation, and is a full 24 3\4" scale where the Jr has a tailpiece\bridge with no saddles and the scale length is 24".

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post

that one almost made my number 2 guitar list... just because of the curiosity in P90's.. I haven't tried them, but if I will have a "ROCK" guitar, it will be a telecaster with humbuckers or P90's..
    I'd really like to try a Fender JA-90. It's continuation of their TA-90 they discontinued a few years ago. It looks like a nice guitar. Maybe a little pricey but it's moot anyway. GC wont carry it. As if I didn't see that coming. Haven't seen the Squier either for that matter.