Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: P-90 Preambulations

I wonder if P90 pickups are getting more popular. I don't remember people installing them, and P90's were rarely mentioned years ago.
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

Quote Originally Posted by YeahDoIt View Post
    I wonder if P90 pickups are getting more popular. I don't remember people installing them, and P90's were rarely mentioned years ago.
    I've noticed this as well.

When I go my Les Paul (used) a previous owner had out in SD Soapbars (P-90 type pickups) and I replaced them, as they didn't fir my playing--it seemed odd somebody would do that.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Les Paul himself played P90 style pickups, right now I do not have a guitar with P90s. They are my favorite pickups for me they can do about anything. I have heard very good rock to jazz played on them. One of my dream guitars is a Gold Top Les Paul with P90s. I had a Godin LG with Seymour Duncan 90s in it nice guitar. I WILL HAVE ANOTHER.

Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to play a guitar with P-90's, so I can't say one way or the other. I've thought about ordering a guitar with them just to try them out, but if I don't like them, it's not like they are the same size as other pickups that I could easily swap out. I do really like the look of them though. Kind of ugly, but in a pretty way.

The unique size and shape has made me hesitate too, DR. I'm really interested in trying the SD P-Rails that put a single coil and a P90 together in a humbucker size package. I also think it'd be interesting to be able to hear the two pickups types in a direct A-B comparison, in the same guitar, and basically the same position. And it lets you hedge your bets too.....If it turns out that it's not what you want, you've got a standard-size hole to bolt something else in.

I've got a cheapo set of humbucker-size P90's that I bought for my 70's Raven Les Paul but haven't finished installing yet. I bought them from Choppers Music on eBay and they were well under 50.00. A fairly economical experiment anyway....
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

My vintage Guilds all have single coil PU's by Franz that are very similar to P-90's. So similar that people call them Franz P-90's.

What I like about them is when you turn the tone down it sounds really jazzy and mellow and when you turn the tone way up it sounds like rockabilly. I love them- you get usable tones all over the knob.

I wonder what you'd do about pot values if you were mixing and matching P90's with single coils or 'buckers. P90's like 375K pots which would make a 'bucker sound dull and a single coil sound ice-picky. Could be that using all P90's is the only way around this. Anybody know what S/D recommends to use with P-Rails?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Thinking simple, I would take 500k pots. If it's too bright, you can turn down the tone. The other way around doesn't work: If the bucker gets too dull with a 250k pot you can't add trebble.

SoapBar

Quote Originally Posted by randoo11 View Post
    What's the concensus on P-90s? Love em hate em? If you have them what kind of music do you play with them. The same music you play with regular singlecoils or do they bring something else out in your playing?
    I love 'em !

JJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iceGirlz 032.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	2172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iceGirlz 060.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	2173  

I love them to. I was the same about not liking them much when I was younger because they seemed lacking compared to a good humbucker.
    In those days I played overdrivin all the time. Now I like to here what pickups do naturally & they give me a real thrill now. To me they got like a tough Tele bridge sound.
    I got to spend a couple hours playing a 58 Les Paul Jr a while back through a Fender bassman & it hooked me for life.
    I`m currently gathering parts to put a vintage handwound P90 in my PRS one in an
    attempt to get close to that vibe.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.